• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What kind of problem is it?

Some of my pepper are starting to get wrinkled leaves. Is this due to a lack of calcium (bonemeal)? Thanks

Generally, crinkled leaves like what you have in the picture is calcium deficiency. Is the yellow color of the top leaves just from glare, or are they yellow? That could be caused by overwatering.

The yellow color is from glare. I watered them today so It's possible I overwatered. I'll wait a bit more next time before watering. Also when I transplanted em in 4 inch pots I forgot to mix a bit of bonemeal in my soil. Can I add a bit over the soil ? Or should I try to get liquid calcium supplement ?

bonemeal I have learned takes a while to break down, (was told a month about) and it doesn't dissolve into the soil well, if at all, get some Cal-Mag if you have the money, and the small quart or whatever it is (the cheaper $15-20 one) is good enough, the plants really love that stuff since I started using it

lol, they mean glare from the camera, like when you watch tv from the side in a bright room so you can't really see it that well, or glare from the sun on ice/snow.. glare from the camera he said was causing the leaves to look more yellow than they actually are in person.

and if they plants are really yellow on top like that, it's most likely due to over watering, or I noticed mine did that a little when I gave them a little too many ferts, but they also showed fert burn spots, so if you don't have the burns as well, it's generally from watering too much

I think it's overwatering. I have the same problem with leaves getting crinkly. I think it's from too much water. Be careful with the calcium. I nuked mine with a calcium supplement and made things so much worse. I rather have the crinkled leaves than the leaf drop I caused by overfertilization. Try easing up on the watering and see if the new growth has calcium issues. If they do, then lightly use a calcium supplement. They are very young and sensitive to fertilizers at this stage.

Hope you get your problem solved. Could his leaves turn back to normal, those that are already affected? Or they will stay this shape and only new growth with become normal when the problem is solved?

Like others said, could be cal & mag but I'm no expert hehe :)

you do realize that you can just put a little bit of dog food in your soil... It has bloodmeal, and bonemeal... Just a cheap alternative way...

you do realize that you can just put a little bit of dog food in your soil... It has bloodmeal, and bonemeal... Just a cheap alternative way...
Dog food also has protein and fat which are bad for your plants

I would use crushed up tums or generic tums before dog food.

Calcium is calcium, it might just not be water soluble, so it would just take a really long time to break down, and might not really break down well enough in potting soil.. that's what I would think would be the difference

Dissolve Dolomite lime in White Vinegar.
It makes Calcium Acetate that your plants can use right away.
Dolomite lime has Mag. in it too,an added +.

Works as a folier spray or soil drench.
I add an oz or 2 to a gal. of water.
I put an inch of Dolomite lime in a plastic container and top it off with vinegar.
I add more vinegar every time I use it.
Don't tightly cap.It is like vinegar and baking soda mixed-releases gas and will pop the top off a snap lid container.
Only use white vinegar.Other kinds have too much other stuff in it and don't work as well.
I use 5% white vinegar.

I used to use tums dissolved in white vinegar to make calcium acetate. I would let a few dissolve for a week in some vinegar and use it like you would cal-mag. I have since gotten sick of the smell of vinegar and just use commercially made cal-mag.

I have in the past used tums to alleviate calcium deficiency or at least what I thought was that. Also, if you are using water that has been treated with chlorine it will retard the absorption of calcium and other nutrients as well as harm beneficial microorganisms from what I have read.

There is also a process of using egg shells and charring them down and then breaking it down in vinegar that I have read about but I am not personally familiar with which is good for "watering" extra calcium in your soil

Back