• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

flavor What medium hot peppers have the best taste?

So now that I'm really into this and want to grow about 50 to 75 different types next year.  I'm asking for suggestions of your favorite medium hot peppers for my friends and family so as not to burn off their faces with the super hots.  I am looking for ones with lots of flavor and good heat too.

I have looked on www.pepperlover.com and Semillas.de and a couple other sites too.  But I'm betting that The Hot Pepper is the place to ask this question instead of just going by descriptions on the seed sites.  I would like to grow every type I can but I do still have to work and can't just be in my gardens.  But maybe some day?

Thank You

what do you consider medium hot?
Some people who have had superhots will say Habanero is medium.
My wife thinks a jalapeno is medium  :rofl:

anyway medium i'd consider around 20-100k shu
orange thai and cayenne are popular
aji brazil starfish, aji lemon drop, aji pineapple are rare(not in any stores i've ever seen) and tasty! so very cool to grow yourself.

juanitos said:
what do you consider medium hot?
Some people who have had superhots will say Habanero is medium.
My wife thinks a jalapeno is medium  :rofl:

anyway medium i'd consider around 20-100k shu
orange thai and cayenne are popular
aji brazil starfish, aji lemon drop, aji pineapple are rare(not in any stores i've ever seen) so very cool to grow yourself.

Second the aji lemon drop!!!

Ask Judy what she would recommend and what SHU are you looking for?  Serrano range from, 10,000 to 25,000, hotter then a jalapeno at 2,500–10,000 but not as hot as a hab. 

Aleppo is a beautiful and delicious pepper. This is one to share with the family. I ordered a sfrb from jusplayin and he threw in an Aleppo. I was very impressed with this well balanced pepper. Slightly sweet with heat similar to a jalapeno. This classy pepper is definently on my grow list next year.

Give Aji Amarillo, Bulgarian Carrot, Beni Highlands, or a Rocoto/Manzano a whirl.  These are not super hot chiles and will most likely be varieties that not a lot of others are growing.  Although, a fully ripened Biker Billy really can't be beat!

Pineapple ajis, red-ripe-jalapenos, fresnos, pinocchio cayennes, and red-ripe-anaheims  are some of my favorite medium heat peppers.

I recommend murupi amarela

and definitely, most definitely Yucatan White Habanero (white bullet habs)

Fataliis are good too, I have some with some great genetics if you're interested.

I like the flavor profile for Pimenta de Neyde although a lot of people think they're too sharp tasting.

Wow thank you everyone! Let me digest these posts but first paint my front porch since we are having 70+ degrees today and the cold is coming soon + the no sun in the evenings starting Sunday. Thinking about all these really great peppers will give me lots of joy when it gets really dismal out in the gardens.

Some of the ajis mentioned can get a little hot.  The murupi amarella I grew this year was very hot (could be conditions).  

Med hot family friendly peppers I'd recommend:

Aleppo - excellent green or ripe red, wonderful roasting pepper
Jalapenos - I find Traveler grows well for me, though Biker Billy and Early have been other good med hot for me
Fresno - kinda like a red jalapeno, one of my favorites
NuMex Big Jim - fantastic mild roasting pepper - similar to a poblano
Mulato Isleno - darker poblano type, great tasting and mild
Anaheim - longer 'hatch chile' type peppers, good for everything
Chapeau de Frade - one of the most unique looking peppers I've ever grown, with a sweet then medium hot finish.  Love em
Brazilian Starfish - similar to Chapeau de Frade, just as good and unique

Since you have room I'd recommend growing out 2-3 of each - you won't be sorry, and the family won't either :)

Lol, I guess with all the superhots I eat I don't consider any of those to be "medium" ;)

In that range I'd recommend Corno di Toro, very sweet Italian varieties with a nice kick to them and decent sized elongated peppers.

I agree with IKP that for chili heads, these are mild, but you're family will love them! I say to pick up some habs and scotch bonnets even though they might be a little hotter, they're not TOO bad. This one is pretty much covered but for emphasis: Brazilian starfish is amazing.

ikeepfish said:
I recommend murupi amarela

and definitely, most definitely Yucatan White Habanero (white bullet habs)

Fataliis are good too, I have some with some great genetics if you're interested.

I like the flavor profile for Pimenta de Neyde although a lot of people think they're too sharp tasting.
I will be PMing you about the Fatallis! Thanks
Jabski said:
Wow thank you everyone! Let me digest these posts but first paint my front porch since we are having 70+ degrees today and the cold is coming soon + the no sun in the evenings starting Sunday. Thinking about all these really great peppers will give me lots of joy when it gets really dismal out in the gardens.
Since this post on 10/28 it is now sort of wet snowing :(. I had to get back to this thread to get my mind off the misery to come.

They've already been mentioned but I gotta say Aji Pineapple and Galapagos red hab definitely.  I grew them both this year.  The Aji Pineapple tastes great, mild to medium heat and good producer.  The Galapagos Red Hab is half as hot as regular hab and very flavorful.

Back