What night temp kills a pepper plant

Never planted out this early due to fear of frost.  I see one night in the forcast where 39 degrees is the low.  Plants are hardened fine and make it threw nights of mid forties just fine.  Have a plan to deal with it if I have to.  Tobacco stakes between the plants and plastic over top.  Make shift green house.  

Wondering if folk think I should bother since it is not a frost.

I wondering this myself, but ima be pushing it over here lol 32 is what i will be trying. Right now i have tomatoes out and it's 32f out there. Will find out in the morning if they made it or not haha 

I have some of mine that have been outside for about a week and a half. They are doing great. I don't plant on covering them  unless it gets to 35. 

I think it depends on several things.
I put warm roots as a major concern.
Cold wet roots rot.
I've had C.Baccatums and C. pubescens easily not get phased by 30+ degree nights (VERY RARE HERE THOUGH and last only 3-5 days a year,if that).

I got a Naga Morich that was under snow all winter in Texas that grew the next year (I called it Eskimo Naga.LOL)
I think the roots stayed warm enough and dry enough.
A guy in Europe had pics of a potted Rocoto buried in snow that he thought was history.
He didn't get around to tossing it out and it was growing new leaves when he did get around to pulling the other dead plants.

I wouldn't risk your whole grow hoping they will be cool in the cold in pots,but I'd think if you cover them( plants in the ground),maybe use black plastic ground cover you'd be cool in general.

Thank you all.  I would not have put them in the ground, but am having a hard cast on my right foot Friday.  Already a soft cast on the left.  Not sure what will be able to do after Friday so trying to get as much in as possible.  Thinking flipping dirt with a shovel might be right out, so kind of pushing my comfort zone with the temperature.

Ocho, where in Kentucky?  Today in Henry county is a seed exchange thing.

http://us9.campaign-archive1.com/?u=87de49ffd8bc7dac442d88e2f&id=16f5191bf6

I don't put peppers or tomatoes in the ground until the night temps are averaging about 50F.    I lost my entire group of overwinters last year because the forecast was for 40 degrees and I woke up...it was 28 and all the plants were dead.

So, would it be safe to assume that plants started in January would be safe inside of the garage which gets around to 40 degrees at night would be alright?  There would be no frost, just cooler in the evenings.  Plants in question start at 12" and go to about 18" tall, if this makes a difference.

Helvete said:
I don't put peppers or tomatoes in the ground until the night temps are averaging about 50F.    I lost my entire group of overwinters last year because the forecast was for 40 degrees and I woke up...it was 28 and all the plants were dead.

Experience this horror and it will push you to wait.  It happened the exact same way to me, forecast over 40 so I did not even tarp the raised beds, woke up to sub freezing temps and a 25 mph wind. Lost about 2/3 of the plants and after growing them indoors for months it absolutely sucked  :tear:  Given your circumstance hopefully all will be well.   ;)

This led me to buying more indoor lights, bigger nursery pots for the final pot-up and lastly large plastic containers to carry all the plants in and out of the house.  This is not unusual to my normal routine minus the larger nursery pots as a final step.  Where I would normally get some stunting due to not having a them in a big enough container as I waited for the plant-out date they are now continuing to grow huge.  Honestly this season will see the largest plants I have ever planted out.  They are so ready to be outside all the time but until I am consistantly averaging 50 or above as a low it is a no-go here.  Weather here changes way to quick. I really need a 15 degree buffer above freezing to even think about planting out.

Best of luck!  

It's forecast to be 47* here tonight, but I literally have no room left inside to bring in pots, so i covered the ones outside with a sheet and am going to hope for the best.

Back