• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

what rig to choose?

Hello!

I'm thinking about getting a lightrack(right word?) to help growing seedlings Or even full plants.

I'm thinking about getting a rack with 2 6500K tubes/bulbs but i don't know if 2*36W is enough or if i should get 2*54w or something?

Is T8 that bad compared to t5?
The t8 rigs arround here is cheaper but is the t5's so much better i may dig some more in my pockets.

I'm going to build a basic indoor greenhouse with walls,floor,roof covered with plastic laminated aluminumfoil for good reflection.

Feel free to post comments so i know what to chooseovered with aluminumfoil to reflect light as mush as possible.

From what I've seen on this forum, you can grow seedlings with just about any type of flouro lights. If you want to grow to maturity and produce fruit indoors with artificial light, metal halide and high pressure sodium may be a better choice. Those lights produce more heat so you'll need to think about temp control as well.

I have an old psu from a computor that i could use to drive a fan with to get rid of acces heat.

The main goal is to grow seedlings for later replanting outside in buckets.

But it would be fun if i could at least get one plant to give fruit.
I can probably not afford a whole indoorfarm because of the electrical costs.

That special kind of bulbs is high watts right?
There's a risk that they could be too expensive to run.

This whole thing is completely new for me.
It's not as easy as riding my dirtbike(pu gas in, kickstart & shift gears).:)

The metal halide and hps lights used for growing are usually 400, 600, or 1000 watts but smaller down to around 150 watts are available.
For growing seedlings to transplant outdoors the T12, T8, T5, and CFL work great based on what I've seen on this forum. Probably the most critical part is hardening off or getting the plants accustomed to natural light and weather conditions.

I made a cheap setup. I used PC fans and people gave me crap about just buying a cheap oscillating fan but once again it was a cheap setup. 2 - 65000 k Bulbs will keep your seedlings growing. I had much success with it. But like others stated if your looking for producing peppers you would have to use a better light source like Metal halide like others stated. I posted a link of my setup below. Hope I answered some of your questions.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/21328-my-ladderball-growlight/page__p__445583#entry445583

For light reflection go with flat white. Aluminium foil can produce hot spots and doesn't work as well.

Back