What should I do???

Hey all,

I have a Reaper plant that is just starting to produce outdoors. It has about 5 baby pods on it with other flowers that look like they are going to produce pods.
What my problem is as that the Reaper plant has some aphids on it. My other indoor Chocolate Scorpion has aphids as well and has been sprayed. I have some baby indoor plants that have been separated from the chocolate scorp plant which has aphids on it. Ive been keeping a real close eye on the baby plants and so far I havent seen an aphid. I had to bring in the Chocolate Scorp since it has a decent number of good sized unripe pods on it. My question is...
Do I bring in the Reaper and try to get some pods to harvest from it or just toss it???
I was going to spray it a few times outside before bringing it inside, if I was to bring it in.
Id hate to have the aphids spread to the baby plants. But I guess I could always start more seeds.
I dunno what to do. LOL. Thanks for the help in advance!

If it were me I'd spray it a few times and bring it inside since your CS already has aphids. Just keep a close eye on them and keep them sprayed and if possible isolate the baby plants. You can also spray the reaper plant off real good outside with a water hose.

Use an insecticidal soap spray a few days in a row and you`ll be good to go. I honestly don`t worry too much about aphids. They are a pain, but soap gets them pretty well and it`s perfectly safe to eat the pods after you spray multiple times. 

You can spray indoors with it, too.

Thanks guys! I was kinda thinking the same thing esp since the Chocolate scorp already has aphids anyways. I think I will cut the Reaper back a little too. Just hated to toss a Reaper plant that was starting to pod up

Put a tablespoon of dish soap in a pint of water and use that to spray the plants. You don`t need to chop them back.

Knock them off with a water hose - don't kid yourself. That only knocks off the adults, and doesn't do anything about the eggs. Dish soap - only slightly better than water. Insecticidal soap - ok, fine - just be sure to spray EVERY DAY for at least a couple of weeks. It's the safest option outside of getting ladybugs.  Ladybugs eat adults and eggs and don't cause any other harm, so are the best option. NEEM oil is also good, but I don't think you can use it when there are pods you want to harvest any day soon.

Look up the life cycle of aphids - they are extremely rapid reproducers, and their eggs are resistant to many forms of pest control. That's why you're going to have to religiously spray with insecticidal soap if you go that route.  

Nigel said:
Put a tablespoon of dish soap in a pint of water and use that to spray the plants. You don`t need to chop them back.
yes it works very well but dont use ani-bactereal soap as the TRICOSAN could kill the plant, antibactereal soap in a stronger dose with vinegar makes a good weed killer

im told use the milder stuff like Ivory dish soap,

and as Nigel said one tsp to a pint of water and no more

thanks your friend Joe

I had a horrible infestation on my indoor grow earlier this year, I hit them with neem every other day, bug bombed the room several times, diatomaceous earth like no ones business, every morning the new growth would have hundreds on the tip, literally I could pinch the tips and kill as many as you could pinch salt

I took it outside under my carport, washed off all the de, and the outdoor spiders did all the work, I went out a few times at night, caught some spiders with the end of a back scratcher and put them on the plant, few weeks later it is clean as a whistle, ill be bringing it back in soon, as well as some spiders  

geeme said:
NEEM oil is also good, but I don't think you can use it when there are pods you want to harvest any day soon.
I spray with neem up until the day before harvest. Mix 1 tsp/liter and spray every part of the plant. Unless I see dried white residue on the pods I harvest, I don't usually bother washing them. It's relatively weak stuff as far as insecticidal sprays go. Very effective though, you just have to reapply regularly.

Back