What should I grow?

If you're into the sweet peppers you should grow the jimmy nardello pepper.  The taste is absolutely incredible and the seeds are much easier to come by compared to years ago.

jsschrstrcks said:
How much do you have room for? Also ancient sweet sounds interesting... fancy a trade?
I would be more than happy to trade
I will look into it, thanks!
t0mato said:
If you're into the sweet peppers you should grow the jimmy nardello pepper.  The taste is absolutely incredible and the seeds are much easier to come by compared to years ago.

chiltepin said:
If I were you I would grow the Aji Amarillo it is well liked by many here on THP. I am going to grow it this year too. It is a versatile pepper for powder, paste and salsas. It is a must in Peruvian dishes like roasted chicken.

Aji Amarillo is a long season plant to full ripeness, it was at least for me. Apparently there are a few different Aji Amarillo's seeds going around. I had short ones, about 2.5" long, that turned orange, but not until late September for me. I planted out in mid May and had to wait until the end of the growing season to harvest ripe ones. And, by the way I did get mine from a reputable seed seller out of Cali.

FishinHank said:
Here is my list

Aji amarillo
Poblano
Aji dulce yellow
Cowhorn
Pimiento del Piquillo
Cajamarca
Cayenne Yellow
Bhut jolokia peach
carolina reaper
ancient sweet
You have 10 listed how many do you have to cut from that list ?

FishinHank said:
That is my whole list
I would add one of these peppers to your grow list this year and make room for them. Actually you might want all four and take some off your list if you don't have the room. These are usually in everyone tops for flavor.

1- MOA Scotch Bonnet
2- Bahamian Goat
3- Chocolate Habanero or Jamaican Hot Chocolate
4- Bishops Crown

well you have two stuffing peppers - cow horn, and poblano - of the two I prefer Pablano.

Aji's I personally like, but some people say they taste like soap to them.  So your mileage may vary.

You have to grow one primo/reaper and eat at least one pod so you can say you've tackled the current worlds hottest.

Cayennes don't do a lot for me. though the idea of a yellow cayenne is interesting. Bhut peach is one of my favorites, you might want to try it as well.

I guess a good question, and a good starting point for our advice would be what is your tolerance level? eg - whats the hottest pepper you can stand right now? Then plant a couple milder, a couple at your tolerance, and a couple above it.

I would definitely grow the Aji Amarillo if I were you, it is bomb! Start germinating seeds now though, they need a long growing season.

Besides the Aji Amarillo, from your list I wouldn't cut Aji Dulce or peach Bhut. Both are fantastic.

You should grow the Reaper if you've never grown one. They are actually tasty when used sparingly, plus there is the novelty of growing one of the hottest in the world.

What do you intend to do mainly with your peppers? Sauces, powders, stuffing, stir frying, etc.

You might want to figure out what you will use the most, and grow those.

jsschrstrcks said:
Aji's I personally like, but some people say they taste like soap to them.  So your mileage may vary.

Personally, I find that distinctive aji flavour to be more like a hint of cocktail salt but I can see how some might reach that conclusion and I do find certain restaurant chillies to have an oddly soapy heat to them.
One of the fair trade schemes round here does aji chilli chocolate made by the cocoa growers where that hint of salt really shines.

Back