What should I grow?

Greetings!.  It's great to find this website with so many pepper enthusiasts. Relatively new to growing super hots myself. Have done things like habanero's, serrano's etc. Recently, I found a Bhut jolokia from bonnie plants, but want to grow some more exotic ones. Here's what I'm looking for:

1. SHU > 100,000
2. tastes good (very subjective I know...)
3. grows in a container
4. overall easy to grow/low maintenance.
5. produces a good amount of peppers.  

Also, where, online, are some good places to get pepper seeds/plants.

Appreciate your suggestions.

First of all, Welcome!!
You should introduce yourself to the forum on the welcome page.

As for the seeds/strains, take a look through our classifieds and you'll find more varieties than you ever thought existed. Looks like 96strat has an awesome sale going on right now, most of which fall right into your category.

Best of luck!!

:welcome:

I would say my favourites are, scotch bonnets MOA and a few types of 7pot's. What will help is saying what type of chilli you like.

For example, I'm really into the Caribbean flavours.

But good luck with your grow :D

I like most Scotch Bonnets i have tried, and I have a massive appreciation for Fataliis.  Really, though, I dig most chinense i've tried.  Paper Lanterns are good.

:welcome:

+1 for Scotch Bonnets and Paper Lantern habs, Those are both great. Tony Sherwood's Carbonero is also a favorite of mine in the habanero heat range. For a super, I really like the Yellow Brainstrain. And I have grown all of those in containers with good results. 

For seeds, I highly recommend White Hot Peppers. Good germ rates, nice extras with every order, and a large selection of seeds to choose from. Also, he is a respected member here and is just great to deal with: https://www.whitehotpeppers.com/collections/all-pepper-seeds

For plants, I can say I was very happy with the ones I purchased from Juanitos last season. He is also a member here. He only stocks a few varieties though. He is currently selling plants here: http://juanitospeppers.com/products/plants

I have also heard good things about CCN for plants, but have never used them myself: http://www.chileplants.com/

Welcome to THP, and best of luck with your grow this year!

Thank you guys for such a spirited response! To answer some questions

LocalFart: I'm more about the heat than flavor. For me, it's been mostly about the heat than flavor. I'm familiar with the Indian hot pepper. Habaneros and Thai peppers are fine. But because I'm growing, I want to get out and explore heat plus flavors...

Solid7: I'm in Destin, the lesser well-known side of FL

Once again, thanks for your help. Good luck growing!

vitriol102 said:
Thank you guys for such a spirited response! To answer some questions

LocalFart: I'm more about the heat than flavor. For me, it's been mostly about the heat than flavor. I'm familiar with the Indian hot pepper. Habaneros and Thai peppers are fine. But because I'm growing, I want to get out and explore heat plus flavors...

Once again, thanks for your help. Good luck growing!

Scotty B's are pretty warm, pretty much the same as Habanero heat but the 7pot will be a decent amount hotter, they got their name from one pepper being able to spice 7 pots of stew  :party:

But if you're after a ton of heat you can go for some superhots, or Fatali?

vitriol102 said:

Only to those who aren't from around here! LOL
You've got a very different climate to mine - probably more favorable.
I'm a big fan of the market variety red habaneros.  I picked up a  package of Red Dominican Habanero from the local Latin market, and planted them out.  The pods are delicious, and the the production has been insane.  If I had to recommend the easiest to grow variety that I've ever grown, that would be it.  It's a very versatile pepper - as good in cooking as it is in powders.  We even eat them with crackers and cheese, sometimes.

solid7 said:

Only to those who aren't from around here! LOL
You've got a very different climate to mine - probably more favorable.
I'm a big fan of the market variety red habaneros.  I picked up a  package of Red Dominican Habanero from the local Latin market, and planted them out.  The pods are delicious, and the the production has been insane.  If I had to recommend the easiest to grow variety that I've ever grown, that would be it.  It's a very versatile pepper - as good in cooking as it is in powders.  We even eat them with crackers and cheese, sometimes.

Haha, you're just life my father in law, he grew up in the Bahamas and eats Scotch Bonnets on cheese and crackers.

I just sit there and think ouch :P

But Habaneros are definitely a good place to start, you will get a good harvest even on an average plant.

LocalFart said:

Haha, you're just life my father in law, he grew up in the Bahamas and eats Scotch Bonnets on cheese and crackers.

I just sit there and think ouch :P

But Habaneros are definitely a good place to start, you will get a good harvest even on an average plant.

LOL... Don't be a pussy!  My 12 year old daughter eats them on crackers with cheese!  My son has been eating peppers since he was 7 months old! :D

Bonnets, several good types of habanero like mentioned. I like paper lantern, most baccatums, carbonero, bhut orange copenhagen, white bhut, giant congo, aji pineapple, aji amarillo, aji omni color, white bullet habaneros, all good choices

solid7 said:

LOL... Don't be a pussy!  My 12 year old daughter eats them on crackers with cheese!  My son has been eating peppers since he was 7 months old! :D

Haha, in my defence. My old man found black pepper too hot. So my childhood was filled with bland tasteless food :P

My father in law is working on me though... I'll get there one day :P

LocalFart said:

Haha, in my defence. My old man found black pepper too hot. So my childhood was filled with bland tasteless food :P

My father in law is working on me though... I'll get there one day :P

Ok, you've registered your excuses. What do you need from us? What's it going to take to adequately food culture you?  :stop:

Back