• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

what size pot?

1 gallon is good for when they are babies, but you really want 3-5 gallons (5 gallon being the optimal) and after the first season you'll want to pot up.

Kyle, I got a ton of 5 gallon buckets last year really cheap. If you don't mind what they look like, I use recycled pickle, sour cream, latex paint and etc buckets. Half of mine were given to me free and they worked great! Just remember to clean them really well, which I did with a mix of bleach and water. Also, don't forget to drill drain holes in them.

If you can't source 5 gallon buckets that Pepperfreak is talkin about, check your local nurseries out. I found that mine had black plastic pots up to 10 gallons for cheap, the 5 gallon going for less than a buck a piece. Hell, the soil costs more than the pots most times.

I used a 25 gallon pot for my naga. The bigger the better.
Chillistuff015-1.jpg

Thats one plant :)

I've picked up 5 gallon buckets at the paint store for a buck a piece. And, sometimes, places like McDonalds, or Burger king, heve 5 gallon pickle buckets that they'll give you for free (they just throw them away when when they're empty anyway).

Alan

I'd say the size of the pot depends on the size of the plants but I find a final size pot of 5 gal or more is needed for good sized plants, especially if they were started early.
Living in Canada, I prefer black pots to absorb the heat, but this may be a bad thing in warmer climates.

Pepper-Guru said:
If you want em big, gotta pot em big. Anything OVER 10 gal will give you an mini-monster, but if you want "HUGE" you gotta go past the 35 gallon mark.

I don't think so. You have a source and statistics to back this up?

Mike

wordwiz said:
I don't think so. You have a source and statistics to back this up?

Mike
Tex would agree with you mate, from what i hear it's not essential to use large pots rather to feed properly.
Having said that big pots rock imo.

The size of your plants (and the size of your harvest) will be determined by the size of your root system. Period. More fertilizer wont change that.

Next in line said:
The size of your plants (and the size of your harvest) will be determined by the size of your root system. Period. More fertilizer wont change that.

More fertilizer won't but what about a constant supply of food? There have been guys on dope forums that have used small pots just to prove this exact point.

Novacastrian, it would depend on the normal root mass of the plant
in relationship to the physical size of the plant. C. Chinense have
a tendency to have a very large rootball, and will usually fill a
5 gallon bucket up, Annumms on the other hand have a much smaller
root mass for the size of the plant, and have a lot of room in a
5 gallon container, I've seen 3 or 4 in a bucket doing just fine.
Now Chinenses will get around 4-5 feet tall here in a 5 gallon
bucket, close to 7 feet tall in the ground with a 24 in spacing
in the row and 4- 6 feet between rows (they get quite wide also)
Annumms do well with a 1 ft spacing. The other types of plants
you are talking about get very large outdoors here, they also have
a quicker uptake of nutrients than peppers so the things that work
with them may not work with peppers.

ButchT

Back