What temp kills a pepper plant?

I know frost will likely kill and freeze will certainly kill, but I am curious to know if there is a rule of thumb for what temperature they can survive?  I can not imagine affording to heat a green house for winter month production, but just keeping things alive, maybe with winter over techniques, might be worth it.

Hi. What I have found out so far is single digits in celsius doesn't do chillies much good. I gues that is high 30's  to 40's Farenheit. They are still alive, but are not exactly "happy" - they have shed leaves, and are somewhat wilting.

You want them to not just survive but not go into shock either.
Although I can't speak from experience I've heard most people begin their overwintering when temps consistently drop below 60 degrees F. Check out some of last years grow logs and you'll find at least an average temp range that people agree on.

frost won't kill em, freeze will.

soil temps vs air temps is also something to consider.

it did a light snow last year here in april for like 30 minutes last year and the peppers weren't angry because temperature was back up to 40+ a few hours later and ground temp stayed the same pretty much.

In my experience, near-freezing stresses them quite a bit, and causes the leaves to fade, but the plant will recover fully once warm weather arrives.
My over-wintered plants survived half a dozen mid 30s ~ high 30s nights without too much difficulty.

In general, annums seem a little less sensitive than chinense varieties.

I think (always dangerous) the roots or main stem need to freeze to fully kill a healthy plant.

Sometimes a hard frost will even kill them all the way to the ground, but, if they are older, more well-established plants with a decent root system, they can sprout back up from nothing... like a pheonix from the ashes!!  Usually bushier too!!

i took to small plants ( extras )  left them in the green house 2 weeks ago , they survived 40 degree night , but 30 degree night killed them .  tonight their all staying out there !  not dragging in 60 plants then back out tomorrow , gonna be 70 !    :onfire:

Wow some of you plant put things in the ground early.  I am KY 40076.  Our last practical chance of frost is May 15.  May 1st is more realistic.  Right now, the only thing I have outside is in a heated make shift green house.  Was asking for the other end of the season.  I am thinking that a partly sunken greenhouse with heat stored in water barrels might be a way to keep things alive over winter without spending much money on heat. 

Its also worth noting that conditions on a hill will always be warmer than in the valleys/lower elevations... because cold air sinks.

Joyners, here plant out weekend is Derby weekend.  That is also get drunk and fall down day, BBQ Day, shoot your guns in the air for no good reason day, fireworks day, and "Here Honey Hold My Beer" Day.  Think maybe it being gardening weekend is because smart people figured out it is a really really really good weekend to stay home.

This year its May 2nd, frost still possible till the 15th but I get the idea most people are planting potato, onion, carrots and the other things me and the kids are already planting.

I have the numbers to do a little bit of experimenting... I am thinking about planting a few tomatoes and peppers out early, and covering them with buckets at night.  I shall post results here if I do.

Noah Yates said:
I have the numbers to do a little bit of experimenting... I am thinking about planting a few tomatoes and peppers out early, and covering them with buckets at night.  I shall post results here if I do.
That will work for sure.....do that every year ;)

ajdrew said:
Joyners, here plant out weekend is Derby weekend.  That is also get drunk and fall down day, BBQ Day, shoot your guns in the air for no good reason day, fireworks day, and "Here Honey Hold My Beer" Day.  Think maybe it being gardening weekend is because smart people figured out it is a really really really good weekend to stay home.

This year its May 2nd, frost still possible till the 15th but I get the idea most people are planting potato, onion, carrots and the other things me and the kids are already planting.
Here Honey Hold My Beer Day - I love it! That could be any Saturday of a 3-day weekend here.

Derby weekend in Louisville has to be witnessed to be truly appreciate my fear.  There is a place I know of that sells mixed drinks threw a drive threw window, not sealed mind you.  Just in disposable cups.  On Derby Weekend they have specials on this disgusting concoction called a Mint Julip or some such thing.  It is the official drink of the Derby.  On that weekend, they have police directing traffic because there is such a line to the drive threw booze window.

From what I understand, the Queen of England comes to Kentucky for Derby.  Been trying to meet her, but she is never in line at the drive threw.  I'll keep looking.

ajdrew said:
Wow some of you plant put things in the ground early.  I am KY 40076.  Our last practical chance of frost is May 15.  May 1st is more realistic.  Right now, the only thing I have outside is in a heated make shift green house.  Was asking for the other end of the season.  I am thinking that a partly sunken greenhouse with heat stored in water barrels might be a way to keep things alive over winter without spending much money on heat. 

Large black barrels of water or Black Water piping with rocks inside both hold heat...... a long lasting candle with a small iron heat deflector will keep away frost .... If its dirt floors, a compost layer covered in a mulch creates a natural heat ... Clear bubble wrap layers on the walls and roof... can make all the difference.   

Kraken, on insulation it is funny to note that very few underground green house discussions point to earth as a heat sink.  Without insulation, keeping the temp up takes a bit more work but they never seem hip to that.

Back