• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shopping What the heck did I buy?

wordwiz said:
Did a Google search for Markman Peat Company from Iowa that sell the stuff - probably the only company in the world that doesn't have a web site.

This stuff better not dry into Adobe or a company in Iowa and another one in Cincinnati is going to be hearing from me.

Does it list a town in Iowa that they are claiming to be from? My job takes me all over the state, I can do some investigating for you. Let me know!

gardenkiller said:
Does it list a town in Iowa that they are claiming to be from? My job takes me all over the state, I can do some investigating for you. Let me know!

Yes, check the link in my post. They also have regional offices.

gardenkiller said:

Markman Peat Corp
(Roberts Soil Company)
111 E 3rd St Ste 515, Davenport, IA 52801-1520

Contact Phone: (563) 322-1783
URL (web address): no entry

----------------------

I'm disgusted that a store is selling stuff they don't have a clue about and telling customers (me) "it is finely shredded Pine Bark mulch" when they don't have a clue. No web site, no e-mail contact. I tried calling Markman but I think it was after hours, though the message was a bit short: You have reached Markman Peat, please leave a message after the tone.

Also from Google:
Peat is an unconsolidated material composed of partially decomposed plant remains from a water-saturated environment such as a bog or fen. Total peat production in Iowa is small and limited to only a few sites. Last available production statistics for Iowa were 1988 when 15,000 tons was mined, valued at $433,000.

The stuff I got is not 'partially' decomposed - there is zero coarse material.

Hopefully, the guys will be at the store tomorrow and have some info for me. Ideally, they will say they will warn people it is worthless. Yeah, right, and Iggy will become a monk.

Mike

Mike with your luck you must own one of these:
shit-magnet-thumb1.jpg

The plot thickens - a bit. I called Markman and they were surprised to hear the product was available in Cincinnati. They closest distributor they have for True Value is in Chicago, a good six-hour drive.

Regarding the weed seeds, his explanation makes sense, at least in a way. He said the wind blows them into the material and there is no way of keeping them out, without sterilizing the soil before bagging it. True?

He was apologetic about the lack of perlite. He said though while it should NOT happen, more than likely an employee loaded a bucket of soil before the perlite had been mixed in. He again said it shouldn't happen but we are dealing with humans who make a mistake sometimes.

I also talked with the owner of the hardware store. He had not bothered to try to find out any info and when I told him about the weeds his only response was that he has been selling it for three years and no one has complained.

Maybe Cincy is full of dumb gardeners who cannot tell a weed from a flower or vegetable or simply don't care, but it would have made me feel better had he offered to refund the $4.25 - not that I would have accepted. But considering I spend a couple hundred dollars a year, every year and that doesn't include a major purchase every few years such as a lawn mower, I think it shows he is not that hip on customer service or keeping them happy.

I will need several bags of topsoil, potting soil and mulch in the next couple of months - Dave won't be getting my business.

Mike

My worse fears have come true - this stuff has compacted do much the roots cannot breathe; all of the seedlings in it look as though I tried to grow them under a 100 watt incandescent bulb hanging from the ceiling. Dammit - I should have chucked the bag - about 180 plants are probably beyond saving. We have a lot of stupid buyers in Cincy but I sure wouldn't feel right selling them plants with two inch internodal length.

On the bright side, I'll have some dirt to mix with the dirt I dug up that won't compact or hold moisture!

Mike

Back