• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What the <insert bad word> is this?

These guys are hanging out on a bush by the side of my house. The bush is going to be cut down by the landlord because it is growing between the asphalt of the parking lot and the foundation of the house and we want it gone before any damage is done (knock on wood), so the damage is actually welcomed. Also, I haven't seen these critters on any other plants so I'm not really worried, but I sure would like to know what they are. Hard rock vampire aphids?

lusar2.jpg

lusar.jpg

Don't ask me about the bush, I think it's an indigenous species, but I'm not sure. I also posted this question on my swedish blog so I might be able to inform you about what it is later. Sorry about the bad pics - my "real" camera decided that it don't want to work any more...

Yuk, that's the Giant Bark Aphid, the black ones are the worst to have, I get the common green aphid that won't get wings until later in summer, without wings their focus is on eating and humping.
Here's a chance to see how effective dish soap spray works, mix up a batch, soak the little f@#kers, then in a couple of days spray the tree with water to clean it off - this will give you the idea if the clean soap solution is effective or for this type of aphid, if you have to go straight for the real chemicals.

Back