• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

what the...

Today I noticed a couple weeds growing around the buckets of my plants have vines that have lached onto the stems of a couple of plants, wrapped around the stem several times, and are pulling the plants toward them. I was wondering why my holy mole plant was growing so strangely sideways, apparently this is why. It is strange, I don't know how these vines are able to locate the plant's stems to grab them, and what the purpose is. The vines aren't growing all around the plants, I couldn't find any others growing along the ground, it's like they intentionally sought out the plants to grab on them. Has anyone else ever seen this and have an idea of plant the vine might be?

I know there are several variates of plants that will seek other close by plants and "strangle" them to ensure they are not competing for resources. The big one that comes to mind is a "strangler fig" which is just a common name of a vine that does just that. Google it there are some very cool pictures of how you have a tree with a ton of spider web type vines around it.

I know there are several variates of plants that will seek other close by plants and "strangle" them to ensure they are not competing for resources. The big one that comes to mind is a "strangler fig" which is just a common name of a vine that does just that. Google it there are some very cool pictures of how you have a tree with a ton of spider web type vines around it.

wow, pretty cool: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strangler_fig

Yeah I have a bunch of picks from deep in mexico where they have taken over ruins, and other old man made structures. The pics look just like they came out of an Indian Jones movie.

That is pretty interesting about the strangler fig, . I was a little worried that maybe these vines had nefarious intentions since they seemed to seek out my plants. Or maybe they just climb other plants to get more sun, I don't know. They didn't seem to be strangling my plants but were definitely pulling them towards it. Now that I think about it I saw these vines a few days ago but just thought they got a little tangled so I untangled them and didn't pay much attention. Today they were pretty well wrapped around two of my plants in a few places, it took a minute to get them free from the stems. I untangled them and tried to clear all the vines from the area. The plants they went after are easily my biggest plants and have the thickest stems, it's like they know what they're going after. :lol: They didn't go after any of the little plants.

Yeah we have Smylax -"Devil's Ivy", Kudzu, and an air-potato that are all stranglers. The air-potato, will grow in a small pile of leaves on your concrete and over-run your walk, patio and yard.

Back