• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering what to do with over-wintered pepper plants?

Hi -- I have kept 2 of my Hot Lemon and my 1 yellow Fatalli peppers over the winter under my larger (4') growlight all winter.  Lots of flowers but no peppers but they are still alive, although they lose a LOT of leaves.

my question is, how do I get them back outside?  They are in pots (and will remain in pots) -- do I have to harden them again like new plants or since they were out all last year can I just stick them outside once we are past freezing (or, I can bring them in on the nights that will be below freezing)?

I'm about ready to transplant my new plants to larger containers and will need the grow light these 3 are under.  If I can't put them outside, will they survive without the light for a few weeks (like 4 weeks, at least)?  I don't get a lot if any natural light in my house.   I don't want to lose them after keeping them all winter :(

TIA!

GG

I just take my OWs out and put them where they'll spend the summer. Granted, they're pruned and repotted in new fresh medium in February, and any shock they're going to go through is done by May. They also go from artificial light to a south facing window about the same time.

They are, by the way, chomping at the bit to go out right now. The days are getting longer and they know it...

Back