misc What to do with so many pods?

Being in Minnesota- past the suburbs even, it is very difficult for me to sell any hot peppers at market, let alone superhots. What can I do? What are my options? I guess I need lots of info. I imagine I will have plenty this year being I planted 3 bhuts, 1 Naga dorset, 1 7 pot barrackpore and 1 trinidad butch T.
Heck people don't even buy halla pee nos at market much. Sometimes I sell pepper flakes and pickled chiles.

halla pee nos- :lol: I like that!

Pickle some (edit- you already said you do that, sorry), make candied chiles (there's a recipe here on THP somewhere, do a search for it), and here's a lot of recipes to read through for making sauces.

http://www.pepperfoo...ecipe_home.html

Good luck on your growing, and Have Fun!

SL

there's folks on here who auction off fresh pods in lots! I've seen it a few times. Looks fun. Post a picture of what people get, start at $1.00 + postage (priority mail probably best)

do assortments and you should be able to sell some!

Good luck!!!

+10 for AlabamaJack's puree process, it preserves the chiles with minimal other ingredients.

I was thinking of things you could do to use/preserve the chiles, and still have a useful product.

Do you worry about rules and regullations when selling stuff? I sell at market and we have been left alone pretty much but you never know when a state inspector will call you on dried stuff or certain canned things. If I wanted to sell dried pods online what would I need to know?

Look at the marketplace under Hot peppers/seed. Sell you pods on here, ship using a flat rate box, and start bidding at $1.00+shipping. As long as you stay in the USA no need to worry about rules and regs. I can always take some off your hands if you have too many!! :dance:

Ok sounds good. :)
Did you see the movie The Big Miracle? there are 2 guys from MN eating Mexican food in Alaska. The one guy corrects the other and says " it is not jall a peeno ; it is hall a pee no. The J is silent!" We played that back and laughed! :rofl:

Your Options.

*sell them to a pepper spray company.
*sell them on ebay.
*pepper pod auction.
*make alot of pepper sauce & sell it.
*schedule a family chile cook off for the 4th.
*make a water soaked ppr spray for your garden.
*dehydrate them all for powder ..store in a dry area & think about it later.

I have no idea what those are worth - personally I'd be making sauce with 'em, but if you want to get rid of 'em go post 'em in the marketplace - I'm sure you'll get some offers! Like I said before - start at $1 and see what happens.

I definitely grow more than I can use. Some I candy, some I eat fresh, but most I dehydrate. I'm in OH, and similar to MN, most people here think jalapenos are hot. But you can even take superhot powder and add it to a dish without overdoing it (by their standards), yet still add that great chile flavor. People here are more likely to take powders or dried pods from me than anything else. And, of course, I've found one can rehydrate pods in most any liquid (rum, tequila, vodka....) and make some excellent items with them. On the sweet side, I've done pineapple soaked in rum infused with pods and roasted it on the grill. Also chile-infused-rum cake. Douglah nut bourbon chews are extremely tasty, and pods soaked in tequila and thrown in a pot of black beans are quite good.

Get a paypal account.
Isolated seeds are a premium item.
Rare or unusual peppers can be sold here or ebay, or if you have a local eatery that does spicy, they may want some----though they usually want quantity and reliable supply.
Introduce the addiction to friends and family---hot wings for the superbowl, new years, final 4 etc. will make converts to your new religion, and customers.

Less trouble selling fresh/dried peppers or flakes/powders than processed items like sauces.

"pods soaked in tequila and thrown"----down the throat. :fireball:

For myself, my wife made me a spice rack just for pepper powders. I have a jar of each type for experimentation and enjoyment.

I keep a baggie of each type in the freezer.

But the best thing to do with pods--------

EAT THEM!!!!! :onfire:

Well my ad on Craig's List got 12 bhut pods sold at market tonight. I am keeping the isolated dried seed pods for seed trades next winter. I still have many fresh pods. I have been making pepper spray for the critters: raccoon in the corn, voles in the strawberries and beets, deer on the edamame. I would love to make a pepper bomb and gas out the striped gophers! How would I do that? :confused:

Back