• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What to do. . . . .

. . . . . with a pile of green pods?

Well, I've had to harvest ALL pods out of the small uncovered raised bed. I've hung plants that I would like to try to ripen and have semi-ripe pods in paper bags. Now I'm left with a couple monstrous piles of green, unripened jalapenos, serranos, cherries, Anaheims, and a few varieties of Baccatum. The jalapenos and serranos I will probably use in my relish and the Anaheims I intend on dehydrating for powder.

I was considering stuffing and pickling the cherries but wanted to get some other suggestions.

Hot sauce, pickled peppers, dill pickled pepper slices, salsa, deseed and freeze for future stuffing, chutney, jelly, dehydrated, ground, bread & butter pepper slices, pepper mustard, bbq sauce, do I really need to go into the various sausages, Boudin, and other delights you can make from a nice harvest of pods?

Thanks for all the suggestions Tigah! I'm not a big fan of green pods, so I'll have to figure out something. I was watching the Hairy Bikers do pork & Nutria Andouille sausage. Maybe I can use the pods in a Pennsylvania version. How 'bout porcupine and squirrel Andouille with some green cherry peppers in there? Could be the next craze!!! :crazy:

I would definitely roast up those Anaheims for use in everything, and dry/powder the jalapenos and serranos

if you don't make jelly with some of your green jalapenos, you are missing out...just take a basic jelly recipe and substitute the peppers for the fruit...

I was in the same situation about 3 weeks ago, when we had our first frost. The ripe ones were used in salsa, and for making hot pepper jelly, and drying into powder, but I've left the green ones in baskets, bags, etc. and just waited to see how many would ripen. I'm pretty pleased with the results. Probably 80 - 85% of the green ones have ripened now. I'll give it a little longer and then toss the green, shriveled ones, because they weren't mature anyway.

With the jalapenos and serranos, I would slice them into rings and freeze, then use them in soups, pots of beans, chili, etc. over the winter.

Back