• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What to get?

I'm new by the way. So most of my experience thus far has been with what I can find at the grocery store (orange habs, serrano, chili de arbol, etc.) and have grown pre-planted habs and serranos. I'm interested in growing superhots. I am attracted to not only the high heat level, but also the exoticness and the new flavors they offer. My primary uses for them would be hot sauces and possibly powders. I might even try incorporating portions of thm into stews (maybe). I want crazy heat, but also great flavor. So, that being said, what would yall advise me to get for my first batch? What are yalls must have's?

I was thinking 7 Pots (haven't decided between red or yellow), naga morich, fatalii, and was debating on Trinidad scorpion (but have mixed reviews on their flavor).

Also, one other thing: I like cooking chili and am pretty proud of my dish thus far, but would like to add a little extra flavor to it; something exotic. Do yall have any opinions on a particular chili pepper that I might add?

thanks guys! sorry for the long post.

IMO if you're doing something fruity, like a mango salsa, add caribbean or chocolate habs. If you're looking for something in your chili I prefer bhut jolokias (reds, chocolates, indian carbons). In a mojito i like yellow scorps or fatalii. The Butch T scorps are great for kicking up hot sauces.

Again, these are just my opinions and what has worked for me. You're probably gonna have to experiment to see what works with your taste buds.

Hope this helps.

There are so many and the one's you mentioed are all great, but a few others you may want to try: Bhut Jolokia, 7 Pot/Pod Jonah, 7 Pot/Pod Yellow, T.S. Morouga, and for chile maybe a nice Chocolate strain. Chocoalte Bhuts are really good. A lot of guys on here make deadly powders for chili. Chile peppers are like wines, one may be appealing to one person and the next guy doesn't like it at all. You may consider buying some pods and trying them out first. :cheers:

There are so many and the one's you mentioed are all great, but a few others you may want to try: Bhut Jolokia, 7 Pot/Pod Jonah, 7 Pot/Pod Yellow, T.S. Morouga, and for chile maybe a nice Chocolate strain. Chocoalte Bhuts are really good. A lot of guys on here make deadly powders for chili. Chile peppers are like wines, one may be appealing to one person and the next guy doesn't like it at all. You may consider buying some pods and trying them out first. :cheers:

How would you describe the flavor difference between a chocolate strain and red strain of the same pepper? Never had the chocolate strain of anything before...

I personally have noticed that the chocolates have a higher heat level. That has gone for bhut's, 7pots/pods, and habanero's. In the habs I also noticed a much fruitier flavor than the other varieties. I really did not enjoy the chocolate 7pot (douglah) because of its powerful earthy flavor.

Put Fatalli on the FRONT of your list and you've got it made in the shade!

Add heat to Chili? YEAH! I usually start with any fresh, powdered, or canned peppers I have laying around, then add meat and all the other stuff to that! LOL!
(no beans)

Like to cook? Are you going to be doing Throw Downs? (1st weekend every month)
Maybe check out the Drunken Chef... FYI

Have fun, and Welcome from Twisp, WA!

Yeah I love cooking. I might have to get in on some of the throw downs....yall's heat tolerances are WAY beyond mine, so not sure how my dishes will stack up but I will have fun and give it a try!

Right on!!!
It's all about the pictures!
Check out "October Ideas" in 'Throwdowns'. It's on page 7 now, but I think it's been narrowed down to German, Sausage and Bread.
This is the best site! So let me say again... Welcome!

Something you need to be aware of when growing the superhots here in North Texas.

The extreme summer heat stops flower production in July/August. If you get them in the ground by mid March, you may get an early harvest but don't expect to harvest anything in July/August. Then in September when the cool down comes, the plants will start flowering again and about a week later, the pollen will become fertile again and you will start getting pod set...your harvest of superhots will be Thanksgiving week or the first week of December...maybe even after first frost...

it is a double edged sword...you lose July/August production but if you can keep the plants alive during that time, you should have larger plants that produce like mad after the cool down...

I have close to 200 superhot plants growing in my yard this year and they just now have started flowering again...

I would try one of each color superhot as they each have a destinct type of flavor. Brown ones have an intense, earthy chinense flavor, while yellow ones are very fruity. I'd recommend a douglah, a yellow 7, a fatalii, and a bhut or scorpion or something cool and red. It helps to try some habs too because until you start to get used to it its tough to eat any sizable quantity of the supers :)

Back