• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container What to put at the top of my pots?

Got a question about what you can put around chilli plants to help lock in moisture etc.

I've seen videos' where people put straw over the top of the soil but can I use grass clippings from mowing my lawn or something like that? what do you guys like to use?

Got a question about what you can put around chilli plants to help lock in moisture etc.

I've seen videos' where people put straw over the top of the soil but can I use grass clippings from mowing my lawn or something like that? what do you guys like to use?
Others may disagree but you don't want to "lock in" moisture as this can cause plant/root issues. Using a porous/breathable cover like straw-hay-bark much more preferred.

1642523251726.png

Sorry, the link didn't work!

Last edited:
I have a yard that I use no pesticides or herbicides in. I throw everything into either my compost pile, or a top dress on my plants. So yes, you can.

Does anyone actually have an example of a top dress of clippings causing root rot? I mean, we're talking about plant matter, not clay. And it breaks down.

How thick do you think you'd have to lay down grass clippings, to make it rot plants - assuming that you don't live in an area that gets monsoon level rainfall?

Does anyone actually have an example of a top dress of clippings causing root rot? I mean, we're talking about plant matter, not clay. And it breaks down.

How thick do you think you'd have to lay down grass clippings, to make it rot plants - assuming that you don't live in an area that gets monsoon level rainfall?
Who said anything about rot? Except you of course.

Others may disagree but you don't want to "lock in" moisture as this can cause plant/root issues. Using a porous/breathable cover like straw-hay-bark much more preferred.

Who said anything about rot? Except you of course.
Please do clarify your "root issues" comment, then. You love to add content, and troll responses, but seldom do you engage an actual discussion. As someone who has been top dressing containers for as long as I've used containers, I'm intrigued to tap your vast knowledge, so that I can know what (and why) I've been doing wrong for so long now...

I'm also curious to know how you qualify/quantify grass clippings being less "porous" than hay, in particular. Not that I'm not fond of hay - but it's not free, in most cases. Does it not break down in almost the exact same way as any other stem/blade plant? (i.e, the fluff soon gives way to a compacted mass) And with all of these "root issues", caused by "non-porous" top dressings, what advice would you give someone who does the unthinkable, and uses something like... leaves? 😱 (OP: excuse the sarcasm - I'm rather fond of oak leaves, as top dress, when I can find them)

Maybe I should also ask why you feel the need to second guess the OP, on the issue of "locking in" moisture? The location is listed as Australia, and there is a lot of arid space in Oz. Do you think it's wrong to try to slow the escape of moisture in an arid climate? Probably would have been good to ask specific location, if not answering the question directly. I'm disappointed that you're off your game. Usually, I'd expect to see you pulling a weather report for every area of the continent before replying. 😏

Outdoors in a climate like yours I'd go for arborist wood chips. Plus being free to a lot of people sure makes for an attractive price. 7 to 10 cm wouldn't be too thick, so don't skimp. :P

Back