• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

What tomatoes for hot Southern GA weather?

Personally, I hate raw tomatoes, but my wife and daughter love them.  The issue is, in Savannah, I can only get tomatoes normally in the late spring and fall.  Otherwise, it is just too hot and humid.  What tomatoes should I be looking at getting?  It is obviously already too late to start from seed, so I need something I can purchase at lowes/hd or from ccn.

Thanks!

They like everything from beefsteaks, plums, cherries, and just about everything else btw.

Steve,I would get with your extension office  and see what they have to say. They know a lot on tomatoes for your area.I would go and check out all the stuff they offer.Which is a lot .They got stuff on gardening,canning,soil testing and more.I would still start some seeds.Only takes 90 days to get some tomatoes.I know a guy who keeps tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets all year long.They go in the shed or car garage when it's cold. I could hook you up with some seeds. :woohoo:  :woohoo:  :woohoo:   

For one thing, it is not too late to start from seed.  I am preparing to sow 6 seeds each of over 180 varieties of tomato on April 1st, and my season is presumably even shorter than your since I am father north.  I am relatively inexperienced growing tomatoes, but I have researched extensively over the past several months.  If you do not mind hybrid tomatoes, for your hot and humid environmental conditions, I would recommend Mountain Glory F1 for a determinate slicing variety (good for short seasons as well as being bred for disease resistance and heat tolerance, Jasper F1 for a cherry tomato that is indestructible, and apparently JD's Special C-Tex is great for production in very hot summers.  If you are shopping at your local store proven "early," "hardy," vigorous," "tolerant," and "resistant" varieties that are commonly sold include the "Bush" series of determinate tomatoes and the "Mountain" series that I mentioned one of (Mountian Glory.)  Most of the great indeterminate varieties are by nature late season.  The two indeterminate heirloom main season varieties that I repeatedly hear great things about are cosmonaut volkov and boxcar willie.  To be honest though... I only have "research" experience.

Also... apparently Big Beef is the ultimate all-around modern hybrid tomato... while momotaro (tough boy) is an all-time great hybrid.

Back