What type of promix?

Unfortunately, promix is not available in any stores in my area.  So I have to order a bale online.  From what I read the 3.8cf bale will actually decompress to about 7cf.  Should be enough to fulfill my potting needs.  About 12-14 5 gallon pots correct?

So now which promix should I be buying?  HP, BX, Ultimate organic vegetable and herb, Ultimate potting, Ultimate all purpose?

Also note, I already have another source of Mycorrhizae that I had planned on adding directly to transplant holes.

If I remember correctly, all the Pro-mix varieties are pretty much the same. Some are organic and some aren't, but all of them are peat based, buffered to a neutral pH and have mycorrhizae cultures present. I just get the BX myself.

You really can't go wrong with Pro-Mix - explore there site and see if you can decide from readying. I amend mine with many things during plant out.

http://www.promixfindgrowtopia.com/

stickman said:
If I remember correctly, all the Pro-mix varieties are pretty much the same. Some are organic and some aren't, but all of them are peat based, buffered to a neutral pH and have mycorrhizae cultures present. I just get the BX myself.
Correct, for some of us that only grow organic they have a few options and are OMRI listed

Hi Scuba Neversaysawordinchat Steve,

Better order more than 1 bale for that many pots.

Sure it decompresses. But everyone I know re-compresses it somewhat back into a pot.

Just go with the regular HP then. Peppers seem to do fine in it. Maybe put some of your myc into the pots also.

Also 5 gallons is a big hole to be transplanting.

I meant to look at your location before I hit send.

If you have feed stores out there I would check them. Much to my surprise the feed store here carries Pro-Mix BX for $28 a 3.8cf bale. I just add some extra perlite to make it HP and off I go.

Here in Indiana the hydroponic stores sell Promix, I'd check them if you have any around. I prefer BX, I find HP too chunky for seedlings but o.k. for transplants. HP is also more expensive than BX. I buy mine at the local farm store for $30.00 a bale, have some inside thawing out for transplanting today, love the stuff!

midwestchilehead said:
It looks like your closest distributor is Hyams Landscape & Garden Ctr, 870 FOLLY ROAD, CHARLESTON (SC) United States, 29412, Phone: (843) 795-4570. I don't know how far that is from Pooler, but you can look up distributors at http://www.pthorticulture.com/en/distributors/?type=indoorTry the pro side too. There may be one closer that would sell to you.

Hey John, that is my hometown nursery and where I originally got my Pro-mix BX, I highly recommend this store.  You could also order from Greenhouse Megastore.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/pro-mix-bx-biofungicide-mycorrhizae/soil-growing-medium

I use BX and love it. I have also used sunshine but I only use it when making the soil blocks (it is very fine and can compress into the blocks well for seedlings)

able eye said:
Hi Scuba Neversaysawordinchat Steve,

Better order more than 1 bale for that many pots.

Sure it decompresses. But everyone I know re-compresses it somewhat back into a pot.

Just go with the regular HP then. Peppers seem to do fine in it. Maybe put some of your myc into the pots also.

Also 5 gallons is a big hole to be transplanting.

I meant to look at your location before I hit send.

If you have feed stores out there I would check them. Much to my surprise the feed store here carries Pro-Mix BX for $28 a 3.8cf bale. I just add some extra perlite to make it HP and off I go.
Thank you

I have only really been in chat once, and I think I was AFK when you were around.  I have checked feed stores and no luck.

I am not transplanting 5 gallons.  I am transplanting into 5 gallons from solos.

midwestchilehead said:
It looks like your closest distributor is Hyams Landscape & Garden Ctr, 870 FOLLY ROAD, CHARLESTON (SC) United States, 29412, Phone: (843) 795-4570. I don't know how far that is from Pooler, but you can look up distributors at http://www.pthorticulture.com/en/distributors/?type=indoorTry the pro side too. There may be one closer that would sell to you.
Thank you.  I could not locatee it on the other website for promix.  It would only search within 30 miles.  It is a few hours away though.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:

Hey John, that is my hometown nursery and where I originally got my Pro-mix BX, I highly recommend this store.  You could also order from Greenhouse Megastore.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/pro-mix-bx-biofungicide-mycorrhizae/soil-growing-medium
Estimate Shipping
Shipping Cost:
*$185.00

That is for 1 bale.  I can order off amazon prime for about $50 a bale shipped.

Scuba_Steve said:
Also note, I already have another source of Mycorrhizae that I had planned on adding directly to transplant holes.

Scuba_Steve said:
I am not transplanting 5 gallons.  I am transplanting into 5 gallons from solos.

I thought you were saying you were going from 5 gal buckets to holes in the ground.
$50-$60 a bale is what the hydro store here charges.

There's savannah hydroponics probably not more than 15-20 min from you. They will have promix or something just as good. I'm On my phone bit google them. They have a website.

Scuba_Steve said:

So now which promix should I be buying?  HP, BX, Ultimate organic vegetable and herb, Ultimate potting, Ultimate all purpose?

I actually just sent a question to the Pro-mix site yesterday, asking which of their products they recommend for growing peppers in containers.  I got an "out-of-office" reply saying they will be back Monday...  If I get an answer I will post here.

The local hydro shop here charges ~$60, but is on special for $45 for a bale of Promix HP. They got a better deal last year on Nutrimix HP which was basically the same stuff. Worked just as well. I have used both of these for my potted peppers, tomatoes, basil, mustard greens, etc. for a few years. One compressed bale is good for about 10-11 "Classic 2000" plastic pots. Pretty sure those pots are only roughly 4 gallons or slightly less in size. I amend it with 2 bags of mushroom compost, 10-20 lbs of Black Hen composted chicken manure, and away we go. May try a few other amendments this year.

I would use the BX for my seedlings being potted-up into solo cups and then into their 1 gallon containers that I set on the front porch to harden off. Then I go to the local nursery and get a cubic yard (truck load full) of a container mix that is $45. Then I plant them into their final 5 gallon buckets-15 gallon root pouchs with the container mix.

I just stopped in the hydro store today and got even more soil confused.  See my other thread posted today.  The promix there was more expensive than on amazon, even with shipping charges!  I decided to can promix this season though.  I just can not afford it with all the other soil I have already bought.  Sorry for the waste of a post...

Back