water What would you do about watering when on vacation?

Short of installing a timed drip irrigation system (not an option) what would you do to keep your plants watered if you had to be away for about 3 weeks in the middle of summer.

**It's actually quite wet in our area, but still very hot.

Entire family is gonna be gone, and my mother in law can't be relied on for this, nor my neighbors.

Also timed drip is most definitely not an option.

I'm thinking if I keep the plants in partial shade with a wicking system I might be okay, what do you think?

filmost said:
Entire family is gonna be gone, and my mother in law can't be relied on for this, nor my neighbors.

Also timed drip is most definitely not an option.

I'm thinking if I keep the plants in partial shade with a wicking system I might be okay, what do you think?
Sounds like a reasonable option. My apologies, I failed to keep in mind that you had already posted that. Anyways, yes I would say that is a good idea but considering the fact that it is three weeks makes me nervous. 

Would you happen to have any potential friends who would be willing to plant sit?

Though if not it seems as though the wicking system might be the only option.
Just make sure the reservoir is large enough to contain enough water for that amount of time.
I don't think a little over kill would hurt in this situation.

I'll be sure to let you know if I think of anything. I'm only up this late cause I'm finishing up homework lol.

I would recommend putting the plants in full shade for that period. And yeah, this kind of thing is almost always a problem, so sorry to hear you don't have anyone reliable for the task. Nonetheless, I'd suggest going ahead and ask your mother-in-law and a neighbor and a friend or two. Let them know what to look for - drooping/wilting leaves if too dry, wet soil if already watered by the other. Ask them to check on specific days of the week, like your neighbor on Tuesdays and your MIL on Saturdays, and ask them to put it on their calendars/phones/something they look at regularly. That way it's not a "when I get to it" situation, but a very specific one. And let them know directly that the plants will die if not watered properly and you'll be upset if that happens. For some (possibly your MIL, if no one else) having the emotional tie-in will make a difference.

I wanted to ask this same question about how to handle being away for about a week and having no one to trust one's plants with in that during a hot summer.

Wicking system sounds like a pretty good idea. If it were me, I'd give it a test run before I left to see what kind of wicking rate you can expect.

Buzz said:
Wicking system sounds like a pretty good idea. If it were me, I'd give it a test run before I left to see what kind of wicking rate you can expect.
I agree, test it first.

i personally would do timer + dripline/sprinkler. really easy to setup know your plants get water every day or whatever you set it to. Can use siphon valve for nutes. But you don't want to so.. ok.

But if you want to have big reservoir / wicking its possible. have to find a good wick. And want to make sure your reservoir doesn't get mold and crap in it. 3 weeks is a long time though idk. You can use a toilet fill valve to keep the reservoir full.

You will need to have someone water/check up on them at least once a week.  I would not trust any sort of automated system.  As others have mentioned... you could keep a close eye on the weather while you are gone and ask someone to water them before and after an incredibly hot stretch.  In 2012 we took a 12,000+ mile trip around the country lasting 37 days.  Sure enough as soon as we leave, drought set in... in combination with temps that never fell below a daytime high of 90+.  Luckily we had three people that agreed to take turns checking up on them.  When we got home the garden looked pretty good.  (Was covered in weeds)... but the plants appeared to have survived despite the fact that one of the people (my uncle) failed to water them for a whole week in those high temp ranges.  Peppers are tough little dudes. 

Why is it that your mother in law cant be relied on?  Unless she is physically disabled... she SHOULD help you out.  Its not much to ask... honestly.

I agree with the multiple people stopping in idea. I would not trust the wicking system for that long.

Having gone through this a few weeks ago myself (albeit with sprouts), I learned that too much water is better than no water but for my next trip coming up at the end of April I will be leaving a marked cup/bottle to keep them from getting over watered.

Good luck I feel your pain!

Humidity plays an important role, too, as high humidity helps keep moisture in the soil. Extremely low humidity, like in Phoenix, AZ, makes moisture evaporate too quickly.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I only water my plants once a week and I see them daily :)

In the heat of the summer some of my plants have not tolerated only once-a-week watering. I water based on what each individual plant tells me - if the leaves start to droop, it's time to water, regardless of the schedule other plants are on.

geeme said:
Humidity plays an important role, too, as high humidity helps keep moisture in the soil. Extremely low humidity, like in Phoenix, AZ, makes moisture evaporate too quickly.

In the heat of the summer some of my plants have not tolerated only once-a-week watering. I water based on what each individual plant tells me - if the leaves start to droop, it's time to water, regardless of the schedule other plants are on.
Currently I should have said, last year it rained so much I watered one until August I want to say. There is no way to predict how much to water and I agree with many better to have someone put their eyes on the plants if possible. 

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I was thinking I wound have to try and find some people to alternate for me.

Thanks for the diy drip idea Chris, any idea how long that would last?

Summers here tend to have very high humidity (upwards of 100%), but even then water evaporates pretty quickly. Doesn't help that the garden is SxSW, with full sun for a majority of the day.

Back