• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

what would you do?

i moved a couple hundred plants from greenhouse to the shade house. of course now this weekened its going to get down in the low thirties,with highs in the sixities and sunny. monday weather is back on the rise"i should have waited a week to move the plants but i didnt". so would you move all the plants back in the greenhouse and try to keep them warm or let the plants stay where they are and hope for the best?

Is there a frost advisory? How mature are the plants? I don't let my plants stay out until the conditions are going to be prime. I'm not dealing with hundreds of plants though. IMO it is not a good idea to rush them out to gain a week of growth when you can set them back a few weeks by doing it. I would say if you have the time move them back.

Yep, I agree with Pr0d...
If there is a frost advisory move em back if you can. You may also be able to cover them up if its not too much trouble.

the plants are mature they all suffred from the flooding i had. i cleaned them up and held them in the green house for the last 2 months. im not moving my new plants outside for a couple more weeks.

When fall/winter hit here, I ensure my mature plants don't get hit with frost, but if it's only going to get down to the 30's at night a tad, they should be fine if it's just a few days. They may be stressed, but generally fine. You said they were in the shade house, so I'm assuming that means they're covered from frost (sorry, I'm not familiar with the term "shade house"), so at least that should not be a problem. Pepper plants tend to have more of a problem when the temperatures are consistently too cold, but tend to be sturdy enough to handle a few roller coaster rides.

If the plants have pods on them, though, the pods might not be happy at 30, and get soft like they would if you picked them and threw them in the freezer. I don't generally notice that happening on mine until it's more consistently cold, but something to be aware of.

thanks for the responses .

geeme im thinking what you saying. ill make my final decision tomorrow. the plants have peppers and flowers on them and have already flushed 2 or 3 times. all of these plants have had a very rough life so far so im thinking they will be able to toughen it out?

Take a chance and lose what happens? Lose all of the plants? If it were me I would be hustling them all back to where it's safe or come up with another way to keep them warm. No way would I chance losing all of those plants.

Don't risk it if you got the room brother...I would pull them in, or at a minimum cover them in place and try to figure out a way to keep them warm. Odds are you won't "lose" any mature plants with a light frost, but you will lose some leaves and new growth. That setback could cost you a few weeks growth where protecting them costs you a couple days work. Good luck Sic. Keep us posted.

So....what ended up happening Sic? Did you leave 'em, put 'em back in the greenhouse, or cover them????

How did they do?!?!

I have questions Dude!!!!!!!!!!! :D

i just got done putting them back into the greenhouse. tonights low 33,tomorrows low 29. the wind was my biggest decision to move the plants.its suppose to be rugged tonight bringing this cold front in. its already pretty windy.

there is still just such a huge part of me that thinks them plants would have loved the cold snap? maybe next year ill test it :rofl: ?

Or just take out a couple of the 'problem children', and see how they do. I don't know about you, but I always seem to get one or two plants that wanna give me grief. Teach 'em a lesson Papa Sic! hahahahaha

I live in WPB and its supposed to be getting into the low 40's. I brought my 3 plants in just in case, one was to big so I brought it on to the portch. It is windy as hell right now so bringing them in will help from that to. My broccoli will love the cold snap :)

Angie

Or just take out a couple of the 'problem children', and see how they do. I don't know about you, but I always seem to get one or two plants that wanna give me grief. Teach 'em a lesson Papa Sic! hahahahaha
there plenty of stuff still scattered here and there outside.

My rule of thumb for mature plants is always frost. Mine have been outside every other night, including down into the low 30s (34F two nights ago) without issue. NEW plants, OTOH, will die.

IIRC, mine have braved one sub-30F night with wilting but otherwise no ill effects.

Peppers are pretty tough once they're established, IME. I'm going to have four (about 10% of my grow last year) full-sized plants make it through the winter, it appears. Best in quite awhile. I'm pumped.

Hope you don't see any low temps again after this snap, sicman.

My rule of thumb for mature plants is always frost. Mine have been outside every other night, including down into the low 30s (34F two nights ago) without issue. NEW plants, OTOH, will die.

IIRC, mine have braved one sub-30F night with wilting but otherwise no ill effects.

Peppers are pretty tough once they're established, IME. I'm going to have four (about 10% of my grow last year) full-sized plants make it through the winter, it appears. Best in quite awhile. I'm pumped.

Hope you don't see any low temps again after this snap, sicman.
not suppose to ,this is the coldest and the last of the cold we have had.

I bet you're glad you moved them back in this morning. I have frost on the ground and I'm an hour southeast of you.

Back