• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum what would you get (jalapeno x serrano) cross

Well i got some crosses to do

I may also cross a tabasco and a caribbean red hot or habanero

Choices choices

Why would you cross the 2 most similair peppers there are?
Whiskey and water is way better than Club Soda and water.

I live a simple life. Not all of us want our aholes extra crispy mon

I live a simple life. Not all of us want our aholes extra crispy mon

I don't know what you'd get BUT,I've re grown several seeds from Hybrid Anahiems,jalapenos and Serrano peppers and the plants seem to turn out like they were originally crosses of any of them.
I've grown seeds from Hybrid Jalapenos that grew into serrano looking pods,anahiems that grew jalapeno type pods and large jalapeno hybrid seeds that looked like anahiems.
I think they make a lot of the hybrids from those 3 peppers crossed one way or another.
Either for disease resistance,size,heat ,pod production ,plant size or a combination of all these reasons.

So I don't think you'll get anything , in general that you couldn't buy if you researched what some of the many hybrids are that your nursery has.

I see the same thing when growing out seeds from Poblano pepper hybrids.I got a lot of large Anahiem looking pods.

pablano x douglah/butch T hybrid is sounding interesting.

I have some Douglah x Butch T plants growing.

Maybe it ends up looking like an anaheim with the heat of a bhut :P

What would you get?
You'd get an f1 hybrid that shows dominant traits of the mother and father. SInce these peppers are already so close, it would just look like a jal or seranno or something inbetween. Now if you grew out f2 plants you would see recessive traits and every single plant will be different, so what you'd get are an infinite numer of possible crosses not just a cross. Now if you wanted to stabilize a cross then you'd have to spend many years selecting and isolating tonnes of plants........... but thats another story

Well from what I have read the name, if that is what you are asking about, is spliced together in order of mother and father plant. The crossed seeds came out of a pod...that pod came from what kind of pepper? That would be the mother. If my memory serves me right the mother is first.

So if you had a "[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Serrapeno" the seeds would have come from a serrano pod with a jalapeno being the father. Of course then how you splice the 2 names is up to the person making the cross.[/background]

Well from what I have read the name, if that is what you are asking about, is spliced together in order of mother and father plant. The crossed seeds came out of a pod...that pod came from what kind of pepper? That would be the mother. If my memory serves me right the mother is first.

So if you had a "[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Serrapeno" the seeds would have come from a serrano pod with a jalapeno being the father. Of course then how you splice the 2 names is up to the person making the cross.[/background]

+1

So how would you name a Chile Tepin Mother's flowers who was pollenated with Jalapeno pollen
Chile Jepin or Chile Tepeno?

Up to the person crossing from what I understand. I would go with Chile Tepinpeno. lol

Yea I suppose, I thought there was some kind of official naming convention cause I kind of like Chile Jepin myself cause it is easier to say and not a tongue-twister :P

+1

So how would you name a Chile Tepin Mother's flowers who was pollenated with Jalapeno pollen
Chile Jepin or Chile Tepeno?

I don't know what I'd call it, but I ended up with one this year. In the interest of not hijacking this thread, I'll just say look at my grow log if you're curious.

As far at the poster's question is concerned, Jalapeno and Serrano are similar, so there's not much benefit to crossing. I'd at least try one of the huge New Mexico types or something if you wanted to keep it mild. Massive Jalapeno for stuffing? Yes please...

I would not name it until its stable since there can be an infinite number of different possiblities from a single crosses, and if they all have the same name it will lead to much confusion. I would just call it a "tepin X jalapeno f1" and then add simple descriptions for f2s, f3s etc. like "tepin X jalapeno f2(long red)"

Back