• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

What's ailing my squash?

HellfireFarm

Business Member
I had 6 plants in the same raised bed, this is the second one that's showing this problem - wilting badly and yellowing/browning. The remaining plants are showing NO problems. Same bed so same light, water, etc. Any thoughts?

20220712_175808.jpg

I had 6 plants in the same raised bed, this is the second one that's showing this problem - wilting badly and yellowing/browning. The remaining plants are showing NO problems. Same bed so same light, water, etc. Any thoughts?

20220712_175808.jpg
squash vine borers? Start from where the plant comes out of the ground and check for a small hole(s). If you have larvae in the vine pull it up and burn it pronto!

I agree with @skullbiker. One of the most common maladies of squash plants is SVB. More info HERE.

Another thought is root knot nematodes. Not sure if you have them there, and not sure if they attack squash plant roots though.

I thought about suggesting you check for root knot nematodes as @Downriver said but didn't know if they were that far north. It's a sad road to travel if you do. They tend to go wild when the temperature is high. Here is a pic of a tomato plant from the other day, if you pull up that squash plant and there are nodules on the roots then that is the problem.

4F32705C-537B-4E31-A85B-9BA53CEA1B8B.jpeg

So no SVB looks like, and no nodules either when I pulled it.

BUT, the roots were really small for that size of a plant. As in, the root clump was about the size of a large coffee cup. Didn't look like anything got to them, just didn't grow.

It's in the same planter as some others, but I'm wondering if maybe it just got too much water and drowned? (Maybe some root rot?) Our rain has been insane lately ( ~6" just last week) so maybe the planter just didn't drain as well as I thought it was.

Sometimes may just be luck of the draw. In my squash row, I have 4 plants. Early scallop, 2 crookneck, early scallop. In that order. All planted at the same time and have received the same treatment , and have the same daylight. My crookneck on the right has been more productive than the one on its left. By contrast, the early scallop on the left has yielded one squash while the one on the right has not (although both have been covered in blooms).

Back