• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What's eating my pods!?

I have found about 15 or so pods with holes in them so far, anybody know what's eating them?

Thanks!

037e415b91535c087c6b9089b60dc64f.jpg
594254ffadc29e3eb56bdb4cd8c1422a.jpg

Open it up.  Bet there's a worm in there.  If not, there will be rot and poop from the previous tenant.

Best cure I know for larvae worms and caterpillars is Bacilus Thuringiensis. It doesn't harm good insects, just your target.

91PYyk-Yp1L._SX466_.jpg

I found a dropped pod same type hole and damage.

Opened it up and it was black in placenta and webby at stem core.

No idea what it is hoping the bugger doesn't spread

spray the surrounding dirt with some water and look carefully with a flashlight for caterpillars and slugs. also check the plant carefully for caterpillars. any sign of leaves being eaten? also check the plant and dirt at night with a flashlight.

Masher said:
I found a dropped pod same type hole and damage.

Opened it up and it was black in placenta and webby at stem core.

No idea what it is hoping the bugger doesn't spread

Definitely sounds like a worm/caterpillar making a silky lil nest and pooping causing the rot.

Fricken hate those shitty lil bastiges

The day I saw a gnarly wasp pick a caterpillar worm off a plant was the day I stopped hating the wasp.  :lol:

They make nest in the eaves around my house every year. Now I only spray the ones in my entry way and leave the rest.

Saw a moth on one of my plants today, swatted to the ground and stomped on the bastige. They are who leave the eggs that turn into worm larvae and tear shit up. On the bright side I saw a wasp on a plant today also, no doubt eating some shitty larvae or bug.

hogleg said:
The day I saw a gnarly wasp pick a caterpillar worm off a plant was the day I stopped hating the wasp. 
icon_lol.gif

They make nest in the eaves around my house every year. Now I only spray the ones in my entry way and leave the rest.

I've never had a problem with those paper wasps despite that I used to have a lot of them around.  I had one at the back door to my office some time back and I'd go out to get better cell reception and pace back and forth right under its nest (before I knew it was there).  Thing would dive bomb me and smack me in the back of the head every time I turned my back on it, but never stung me.  Gave it a pass and did my pacing a bit farther away for the rest of the season.

I was just about to post about the same problem. Every year I find a few pods like this but this year, the pest is goofing up about half of my pods. The scorpion, douglah, bhutlah, and most all of the red peppers are getting hit hard. Funny thing is none of the yellow peppers or red reapers are getting hit at all. No leaf damage and I never find a bug on any of the plants. I suppose I'll dust them with diatomaceous earth or get some BT.

Attachments

• bug holes.jpg
    bug holes.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 50
Back