• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What's going on with this thing?

Ok, I ordered this so called Bhut Jolokia from ebay.....I know, I know, but this was about 2 weeks before I found and joined this awesome resource of a forum. It came in and was a nice looking plant, lots of leaves and even some flowers already. I left it in it's little square pot for 3 days or so and left it in a sunny window that whole time. I re-potted it and started moving it outside for a couple hours every evening. I did this for about a week. During this time, all the leaves started to fall off and some of them had holes in them, I assumed it was some sort of pest eating the leaves so I sprayed it with some anti-pest spray for vegetables (cannot remember the brand for the life of me). Well at one point it was just the stem and maybe two leaves but I refused to give up on it, so now after about a month, I think its starting to bounce back, its still got the leaves on the top of the plant and its starting to get baby leaves all up and down the stem. First question is, What did I do wrong? Second one is: Is it coming back and is there any hope for the little guy?

Here is what the top looks like:
IMG_0506.jpg

And here is what the stem looks like now:
IMG_0505.jpg

A tad bit blurry but I tried:
IMG_0507.jpg

Your plant. Looks good. More branches coming means more nodes, more flowers ,more pods. So what did you use?

Couldn't tell you what you did wrong, maybe over watering or the shock of changing conditions? But it looks like its coming back strong now! Lots of new growth and all over the place to!

I just used Miracle grow moisture control, yea I know it's bad but it's the best I could find locally here. But I'm glad its coming back. I've noticed some ladybugs on a few of my plants so I'm sure there's aphids to be found somewhere, maybe thats what ate the leaves, I dunno.

MG isn't a bad thing just not the best thing in alot of opinions. I use it in my sprayer. Whether that is a bhut or not who knows but the plant looks like it is coming back.

My bhuts have a tendency to do that, but not to that extent. I'm not sure what causes it...bhut jolokias are pretty finicky plants though imo.

I had pretty much the same happen with my bhuts when I potted them up from their beer cups. Though I'm sure some of the holed leaves were from getting knocked over during some high wind days. But they've filled back out and are putting out blossoms already. I just used a fish emulsion fertilizer and recently went over to the Botanicare Pro-Grow.

Don't know what you did wrong in the beginning but this plants is showing good signs right now.
Maybe it was just plant shock.

Bleash

Yea, maybe I just didnt give it enough time to get used to being in the full sun or something, but good to know that it's coming back.

I had pretty much the same happen with my bhuts when I potted them up from their beer cups. Though I'm sure some of the holed leaves were from getting knocked over during some high wind days. But they've filled back out and are putting out blossoms already. I just used a fish emulsion fertilizer and recently went over to the Botanicare Pro-Grow.

+2

Back