• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What's out there in terms of cultivars needing stabilization?

I know there's the 7 Pot Bubblegum on about F4 or F5, but what other ongoing stabilization projects are there? I'd be interested in getting a piece of the action if anyone's got any seeds they want to spread and have stabilized.

7 pot bubblegum -Old barn nursery, swaps on here and a few other places sell it. 

Carolina Reaper (say what you want but that thing is unstable imo and many others')  -Puckerbuttpeppercompany

Brazilian Ghost pepper (new 3 way cross but it's on the market for some reason) -Ford's fiery foods and plants

Douglah X Butch T.  Some one here has F4's from SilverSurfer.  I have some F7's from another source (not SS's cross) but only a few seeds. 

There are obviously others but I've got a 2 year old going wild and can't think lol

There are a huge number that fall into this category. Here`s just a few,

Tepin x Lemon drop, Douglah x Butch T (at least 3 red and 1 brown phenotypes), Chocolate Bhut x Yellow 7-pot (4 colours of Madballz 7), plus others have made the same cross giving different phenotypes, Yellow Scorpion x Butch T scorpion (yellow and red phenos), UBSC (unidentified brain strain cross), SBJ7 (scotch bonnet x 7-pot jonah), 7-pot savannah (unknown 7-pot cross), Armageddon, Sepia Serpent, Naglah, Bhutlah, Orange 7-pot cross, etc etc etc. 

7-pot Bubblegum (TSMB x Yellow 7-pot), Borg 9 (BB7 x Naglah), Brainfunk (Borg 9 x Brain Strain), 7 of 9 (BB7 x Borg 9)

Hundreds.
But I am in the same boat.

I chose a couple I like--SB7J, because I love the flavor and the way the heat peaks and fades fast, and the BBG7 because of it's funky looks.

There are loads of "hobby crosses" everywhere, but you need an "in" to the secret squirrel types vying for fame and fortune.

Great lists! I'm not really up for getting into the hottest pepper pissing contest but I'd definitely love to help people stabilize their strains. My impression for stabilizing is that the creator of the cross distributes his/her seeds to friends and everyone works to breed til F8+ while cataloging phenotype changes and coming together to decide which pods to choose for the next generation's plants. Is it more just buying an unstable seed, throwing caution to the wind, and breeding the plant as you see fit?

Right now the Douglah x Butch T is one of the biggest right now for stabilizing that I'm interested in. BB7 is another that will be a great pepper once its completely stabilized.

But my all time favorite cross that will be a gloriously tasty pepper once its stable is the Sepia Serpent... Love that pepper.

Most seed sellers state "open pollinated", so you never know what you will get.
A lot of my seeds come from pods I purchase, if I like it, I may try to grow it. Quite a roll of the dice, as some are unknown crosses to begin with, some may be crossed but have the phenotype, and others I got in mixed boxes and even the seller wasn't quite sure what the were.

I will be trying to isolate the BBG7 and SB7J, and breed to "accepted standards" because I like them as they are, and if I grow some unknown holy pod, I will try to start breeding it up, but the main goal is-------tasty poddage.

Back