What's the best beer you've ever drank?? (My old review)

What's the best beer you've ever drank??

I don't get that question asked too often, but every time I do it's always the same answer St. Bernardus Abt 12 60th Anniversary "Special Edition"

I had an old friend ask me this over the weekend and although the answer was simple It got me thinking about my review I posted a few years back. Well I've decided that I'm going to pop another bottle this Sunday during half time and revisit the beer now that it has a few years of age on it.

Here is my old review:

I picked up a case shortly after it's release directly from their US distributor. My brother owns a bar so I often have access to purchase rare an limited stock beers from time to time.

The case didn't look like much at first, but once I popped it open I knew I was about to enjoy a special treat. Each limited edition Tin came packed in it's own little section in the over sized box. After pulling a tin out of the box I was amazed at the craftsman ship of the heavy gauge tin and how great each one was decorated. Normally they don't spend that much time and effort on a tin even for a special or limited edition release.

I have had abt 12 in the past and really enjoyed it for such a strong beer and thought how could they already improve on such an already great beer??

Well although this is a strong beer ( a quad) so it's 11% ABV, it was better then the regular release. It's pours dark pinkish brown with some haze and a massive head that settles slowly. Tons of lacing on the glass indicating how refined the beer really is. The beer has a great spicy, fruity aroma only leaving a hint of alcohol for such a strong beer.

The first sip did remind me of an Abt 12, but this seemed a bit sweeter with a heavier malt and slightly less carbonation. It was amazingly smooth draw with a creamy thick linger of carmaled hops, with a slight hint of vanilla. This a great enjoyable drinking beer. It's the type of beer you want to sip slowly and enjoy sip by sip although you can guzzle because it's has such a mellow draw. You almost have to remind yourself that this is a beer when drinking it. It has quit a bit of complex flavors for a beer. As I continue to drink it reminded me a little like a single malt scotch, but in a beer format if that makes since.

It seems to be a bit young for the amount of complex flavors, sweet, fruity, carmaled, spicy, creamy I'll probably pop another bottle in a few years to allow it to refine a bit. This is by far one of my favorite beers after only 1 bottle because it mixes a wide varity of flavors, with balance AND strength. You can often find a good beer that encompasses a lot of one or the other, but it's rare to find a beer that not only encompasses all 3, but excels in each and every catagory.​

This is an amazing beer and has received the highest ratings for a beer in the World. If you have never tried St. Bernardus "The monk beer" your in for a treat. Beer advocate gave it an A out of 233 ratings (including mine) and rate beer gave it a 100 overall and a 99 in style.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile.php/259/30370/?view=beer&sort=latest&start=230

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/st-bernardus-abt-12-special-edition/61167/

If you've tried this beer please add your comments and if not you better get your bottles fast because I only have about 4 cases left and I still have some room in the cellar!!

That's a hard one, especially on this forum where our members are so aware of micro breweries.
for stout, i would like to say Guinness but we have a local brewery, Brewsters, that makes an Oatmeal Stout that makes me want to waste a lot of time just sipping their brew.
our local BigRock brand has some really nice tasting products and there are several other local specialties that make beer tasting a pleasure.

I do make my own, cheaply, and that's what i prefer.

..........okay, a pilsner urquell has its moments with its saaz hoppiness.

Depends on one's moood. Sure the Abt. 12 is fantastic, but say after a long day working in the garden I would probably enjoy a Witbier more.

I'm partial to Orval for those contemplative beer drinking moments.

I'm a total beer slut, so I get around quicker than syphilis in a frat house. But I'd say it's a toss up between Belhaven Wee Heavy and Xingu. The Belhaven is a fairly heavy, leaning towards sweet ale. Very complex and full bodied. Whereas the Xingu is a total trip. It's a dark beer but tastes and finishes like a lager. Very straightforward and refreshing.

Westy 12 and Belhaven are very close to the abt 12 special. I think like most complex beers it needs at least 5 years of age. I haven't tried one in 3 years so I'm hoping for some improvement.

I do enjoy micro beers as well, but I haven't found one that's as complex with a wide flavor profile. However at $20.00 a 750 I can say I probably drink a lot more micro beer from tap than anything else.

Founder's Nemesis 2010: a barleywine at 12% abv; dark brown; almost black; and roasty, almost like a an imperial stout. It's so complex and flavorful, I couldn't stop at one, I had to finish the 4 pack right there.

Harviestoun Ola Dubh, especially the 30, but any variety will do.

I also really like Ommegang Cup O'Kyndness and Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout.

Founder's Nemesis 2010: a barleywine at 12% abv; dark brown; almost black; and roasty, almost like a an imperial stout. It's so complex and flavorful, I couldn't stop at one, I had to finish the 4 pack right there.

Sounds like something I will enjoy. Thanks for the feedback.

This is an easy one for me. Last summer I had the privilege of drinking a 1987 Thomas Hardy's Ale with my friend (and your's) TB. I would have to say second for me would be Samichlaus.

I would have to say the 1987 Thomas Hardy's as well

Although Dark Lord 2007, 1991 Sammichlaus, and 1998 J.W. Lees Vintage Harvest all come in at a close second

I would give my left leg to taste Westvleteren 12, Dark Lord, and Pliny the Younger (all of them or no deal lol). God, if only that was possible... lol. I can't wait for KBS to be released again, and I want Old Rasputin (had it once before, but didn't know it at the time, and can't remember what it was like) more than a guy lost if the desert wants a glass of water.

I would give my left leg to taste Westvleteren 12, Dark Lord, and Pliny the Younger (all of them or no deal lol). God, if only that was possible... lol. I can't wait for KBS to be released again, and I want Old Rasputin (had it once before, but didn't know it at the time, and can't remember what it was like) more than a guy lost if the desert wants a glass of water.

Old Rasputin might make my top 20 of all time, but not my top 5.

Both Pliny's are great, and Dark Lord definitely makes my top 5. Haven't had the privilege of trying Westvleteren :(

Best beer I ever had was in Grrmany. The brewery in the village we were living in made one called Alten Munster. Yea my spelling in German sucks now. I used to get 2 racks delivered to my door every week along with a rack if water and a rack of soda for like 20 marks whichbwas about 10 dollars with the exchange rate.Came in a flippy bottle. But I also have to agree with Paul on the first beer after boot camp. It was damn cold and good even if it was a Coors.

Jever sitting in a bar in near Frankfurt, Mackeson XXX Stout, Youngs Oatmeal Stout,or....Weihenstephaner Kristall on a very hot day.

Back