• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

What's the Point?

Why do people feel the need to post to a thread when they're not interested in what it has to offer.

Example: A newbie starts a thread to see if anyone is interested in starting a new seed swapping box. Why do the people who aren't interested taking the time to tell us? Then some will add a little extra shot as to the motivation of the OP. Who the hell cares? If you want in fine get in, if you don't fine don't say anything.

sometimes it seems a little redundant to have, like in your example, a seed swap when there is one going and where we are just getting into our growing season instead of waiting till round 3 in July and Aug. when the harvest will give us an abundant amount of seeds. With noobs posting and controlling who is to say that you will see those by the end -- its happened the first time and A LOT of seeds went missing. I see where you are coming from but there is another side to thread post and it can be a suggestion too not that we ever go off topic.

The point could be to warn others that it might not be a good idea to get into a seed trading parcel with a known reseller who basically has nothing to offer himself - it's cheaper and safer to just buy what he is offering at a local store.

The person who I'm thinking of hasn't to my knowledge done anything but try to get (free) rare seeds since he joined, so I think a "heads up" is in order.

Just my $.02

I don't see why it matters if the timing is right for another seed swap. If the guy wants to start one then what business is it of anyone else to try to talk him or anyone else out of it?

Mr Arboc have you bought anything from this individual? Have you checked his prices? How do you know it's "cheaper and safer to just buy what he is offering at a local store." What are you basing your opinion on? Without proof of what you're saying you're basically slamming the guy and telling folks not to buy from him.

I can understand giving a warning to the folks on the site if they have proof that the OP is a bad guy. But to come out and start slamming someone because they sell seeds on Ebay is ridiculous.

I do understand your point but on the other hand this is a discussion forum and I think its important to discuss chile related issues whether we agree with them or not. I think there's plenty of good reasons not to start a new seeds parcel right now and by saying this maybe I'm trying to be helpful to newbies and spread some experience and knowledge about how these things seem to work best. Maybe I'll just keep quiet
As for E-bay, its just the easiest place to get scammed when buying seeds. Maybe there are some good sellers, I just haven't dealt with any yet

patrick said:
Why do people feel the need to post to a thread when they're not interested in what it has to offer.

Example: A newbie starts a thread to see if anyone is interested in starting a new seed swapping box. Why do the people who aren't interested taking the time to tell us? Then some will add a little extra shot as to the motivation of the OP. Who the hell cares? If you want in fine get in, if you don't fine don't say anything.

Thank you for saying this patrick. I tried to mention something about this a little while ago too. I can't stand when a newbie asks for seeds then people just tell them why they won't send them seeds. I don't get it either patrick. I understand a "heads up" but we don't need 15 of those little heads up and make him want to leave the forum. Someone should give seeds if THEY want to or not. If I were going to give him seeds the "hbeads ups" would not stop me. Sorry I just don't understand the reason to be rude to someone new IMHO

POTAWIE I know what you're saying and you're right. If someone is a known scammer I hope somebody posts a warning real fast. If they're a seller that's nice to know too. Believe me I appreciate you sharing your knowledge as I know most of us do and the last thing I'm trying to do is make anybody stop commenting. I agree this isn't the best time to do a seed box and someone taking the time to explain the reasoning is good knowledge for all of us, newbie or not. One person doing it is plenty. I guess I'm just a little tired of people posting to threads when they don't want to participate in it and have to explain their reasoning.

Thanks Kyle.

patrick said:
Mr Arboc have you bought anything from this individual? Have you checked his prices? How do you know it's "cheaper and safer to just buy what he is offering at a local store." What are you basing your opinion on? Without proof of what you're saying you're basically slamming the guy and telling folks not to buy from him.

I never said I bought from him, I was talking about how much the seeds he is offering would cost me to get locally compared to what the cost of postage etc would be if I joined the seed swap.

patrick said:

much agreed Patrick. I think the majority of people on here truly just want to grow some peppers. And isn't that what it's all about?

Couldn't agree more Ballz.

Mr Arboc. I never said you bought seeds from him. I asked how you knew it was "cheaper and safer to just buy what he is offering at a local store." More often than not your local establishment isn't going to carry what online sellers have. They're usually your only source other than trading with people. I understand what you're saying about the cost of ordering seeds. I just don't think you can make a blanket statement like that and have it hold true 100% of the time. Plus by saying "he" you're singling out this individual.

What "he" claims to have grown I can get locally except the "Naga Jolokia". About the "safer" thing:

A: Seeds packed by a reputable seed company.

B: Seeds from a person who advertise Naga Jolokia as "The hottest pepper in the world" only to call it PC-1 a few days later. He also specifies that he hasn't isolated the plants/flowers - that's honest but not "safe".

My choice is "A". And yes - I am singling out this person, pretty much because he does not answer all the questions directed at him. He asks for seeds and ignores the feedback.

BTW - I don't see the point of complaining because people express an opinion you don't share;)

I am in total agreement on the "noobie, first post...I need/want seeds"...

for crying out loud, please get to know the people on the forum...we are a generous bunch if we know you....if we don't we are probably tighter than fort knox...

Its all about building a repoire with the members of the forum and show what knowledge you have to offer...if you are just in it for the seeds...this AIN'T the place for ya IMO...if you are in it for the long run and want to make friends all over the world with exceptional pepper gardeners, then you are at the right place....

thank you Patrick for a great thread that should be viewed by all....

I'm all for folks hanging around and becoming part of the group. I've met some great people and made a few friends the time I've been here. And I've actually not sent a few folks seeds, every one of them a newbie. They made the decision for me. If you've been around for a while I try to get seeds out ASAP. If you're a newbie for the most part I'll hang on to them for a few days to see if you come around anymore. I've got packages of seeds that have been ready to go for almost five weeks. I've even sent these folks a PM or two reminding them. They don't come back, they don't get the seeds.

I've seen a rookie, not quite a newbie, that started here this year post on another site that if folks wanted free pepper seeds this was the place to come to, we were just giving them away and how kind and generous the people are here. What happens when you follow their advice?

Let me put it this way, just because a person's first post is "I'm looking for seeds" doesn't mean they're bad people looking to con us out of seeds to make money on them later. That's probably the way I should have said it in the first place. I'm just not a suspicious person by nature and take folks at face value. Perhaps I'm naive. It's only costing me a few seeds.

Thanks all for your opinions and contributing to this discussion.

Mr A. I'm not complaining and my apologies if I offended you, that wasn't my intent.

I introduced myself whe i first arrived here commented on others plants learned what people thought were worth growing, then i think actually my like 5th post was asking for bhut jolokia's only one person responded and helped me. I would have no seeds or plants at all if people were not generous, and i definatly am willing to send seeds for people but when it is theyre first post literally wihtout even introducing themselves I don't want to waste my time with someone who just soley wants to take advantage of peoples generousity.

Back