• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce What's the tastiest... extract?

Ok, so I'm starting to come to the conclusion that extract sauces are not for me. The 25 minutes of intense abdominal cramping, full body cold sweats and super nauseous watery-mouth feeling that followed my bout with Mad Dog 357 on an empty stomach (less than a teaspoon!) has reinforced this conclusion a bit.

But sometimes I find I want a little capsaicin burn without eating a lot of sauce and it might be cool to just take a "hit" of hot stuff and juice up my metabolic rate just for fun. It seems like pepper extracts are perfect for this.

I've read enough to know that capsaicin and its brethren are odorless and have no taste, but extracts acquire tastes due to the extraction process and that taste is one that I find completely repugnant. I've also read enough to know that not all extraction techniques are the same. Some use hard core chemicals to extract the oils/resins, some use alcohol, some "boil it down," etc.

Is there a tastiest extract out there that I could eyedropper on my tongue and not feel like I just sucked on gunmetal?

Sickmont said:
Defcon Zero.

+1...try to find Batch #3.

Oh, and if you are getting all those symptoms after eating the extract on a full stomich, they you are allergic to the chemically extracted (in more specific, keytone extracted) extracts. It's more common then you might think.

I too have had that horrible i am going to die feeling from Blairs Jersey Death, not goooood.

I steer clear of all extract sauces now.

If you're just looking for a quick hit you can make your own sauce or powders. I've got some powder from bhut jolokia peppers that will light a fire in your mouth.

I like endorphin rush, odd because most say it is horrible but to me I like how it has a fruity taste and lots of burn.

I have Defcon Zero and it smells bad and tastes like lava poo...

patrick said:
If you're just looking for a quick hit you can make your own sauce or powders. I've got some powder from bhut jolokia peppers that will light a fire in your mouth.

That's an excellent suggestion. Captain Thom makes a small vial of Naga powder on a keychain, which sounds perfect for my uses is something I can trot out at lunch and let my coworkers all roll their eyes as I goose up my food a little.

Shayne and myself are exactly opposites on this...I love DefCon Zero and carry it with me everywhere I go...I also keep a bag of dried Bhut Jolokia flakes in my desk at work and a couple of containers of my own dried pepper blend in the truck...

I agree with AJ - Defcon Zero is amazing. My other fave is Z Nothing Beyond. Both get a 10 out of 10 for heat and an 8 out of 10 for flavour.

Back