Whats the verdict with coffee grounds ?

Noah Yates said:
They are one of the staples of my worms' diet.
Long long, before i used it in gardening,i fed my worms nothing but newspaper and coffy grounds before i headed to the lake to sell my bait on the weekends. ;)

SavinaRed said:
Whats the verdict with coffee grounds ?

What about mixing it in with your soil when planting?
Just do it.

SavinaRed said:
Are any of you composting ?
I have about 0.15m³ of active compost here. But I do not use it, it is not trusted (many inorganic garbage in there).

I will be scrapping the timbers around the area to gather humus this year and see how it goes.Lots of calcium from a very boney compost i got from a farm confinement last year.I want to put another layer on it.A couple skulls ended up outside my daughters window that dogs were kind enough to recover,What the dogs left I kicked out with the tiller.The rest is ferts. ;)

Be careful. Use sparingly, fully compost, or feed to worms first. If adding directly to soil, I would mix up a batch and test the pH. Too many coffee grounds can make the soil acidic. A few years ago, I added a fair amount to some of my 5 gallon pots and those plants did not thrive.

i have 3 containers in my kitchen: coffee grounds, egg shell and vegetable scraps.

the vegetable scraps go directly into the compost bins or bokashi bucket, the egg shells get ground up and put into the compost bin or directly onto my soil, even if frozen. the coffee grounds container when full goes into the composter bin or again like ground egg shells directly onto my soil...again even if the ground is frozen.

so, i have no verdict other than i compost and reuse everything. does it help, i don't know, what i do know is my landfill garbage bag is 1 bag per week and lacks products that would benefit my soil. i would even cook my animal bones and grind them up but with ground hamburg and turkey, boneless beef, pork and chicken, i have less of that to process.

processing foods that naturally break down, just seems logical to me and that's why i do it. 

As I mentioned before I rely on my worms (Red Wigglers and Earthworm) for my fertilization. Coffee grounds I regularly give to my worms to snack on. I amend it directly into the top soil layer in my beds. 

I realized I consume about 1kg of coffee each month... As I found out yesterday coco coir is more expensive than coffee here, I'll just save and use my coffee waste instead.

Food for thought.  :party:

I make a plunger of coffee every morning.

I strategically placed a Kale plant outside my kitchen window, so everytime I chuck the coffee grounds out there into the garden I throw it onto the kale plant..
Kale plant (tree) is about 1.5 meters tall now, lol...
Does it work? I dunno, I would not think of it as a fertilizer by itself..but I think it probably adds a little bit of goodness..I would not use it by itself and expect miracles though. I dont think it will harm anything though. 

I say go for it. Add it to your compost or feed your worms. I save my coffee grounds in a ziploc bag until I need to use them when I feed my Red Wiggler worms. I say moderation is the key. 

An good read:  http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/FS207E/FS207E.pdf

In short, they're great when composted, OK as a top mulch, but not so hot as a direct soil additive.  

My experience from last year bares this out.  I used ~20% coffee in several soil batches.  These produced distinctly runty plants.  I don't know if this was due to a PH shift, or some mildly poisonous chemical that was leftover. but the results were bad.

Q: Can coffee grounds help my plants?
A: Yes. When they are used properly, coffee grounds supply
nutrients and provide other benefits that increase plant growth
(Yamane et al. 2014). In general, only composted coffee
grounds should be worked in as a soil amendment, while either
fresh or composted grounds can be used in a mulch layer.
Fresh grounds are more likely to be phytotoxic (Wakasawa et
al. 1998), so keeping them away from direct contact with
desirable plant roots is recommended.

irn8cctC2uZ said:
As I found out yesterday coco coir is more expensive than coffee here, I'll just save and use my coffee waste instead.

What does one have to do with the other?  They serve totally different functions in both a compost pile, and a worm box.

Back