• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What's this in my tea? :s

Found this little fellow crawling out of my experimental AACT. Does anyone know what it is and whether it is harmful or beneficial? I'm using composted cow manure+grass clippings+molasses as my main ingredients..

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jis3GZ1abg

A. What are you using to capture image/video? I want it :D

B. Moving a little slow to be a predator, looks like he's grazing. Do you have any reference for size? You could transfer to a leaf cut and see if he feeds or continues to search.

I first thought H. miles (S. scimitus now, if IIRC), but you would never be able to keep him on screen unless he was in a weak condition, and the body structure looks different. Perhaps I'm wrong though.

If you get a frame capture you can post to bugguide.net, or browse this. If I had to guess, a type of dust mite.

Just my regular phone and some steady hands =) It kinda works for short clips but I'm contemplating building a permanent contraption similar to this one for longer recording/monitoring sessions: http://www.instructables.com/id/microscope-adapter-for-cell-phone/

I forgot to note down its size.. seemed like 4x the size of an average nematode but i'm not 100% sure :(

and I can't try placing it on a leaf since I wiped the slide clean after recording the video, but it's a good idea for future analyses! :)

*googles H. miles and S. scimitus*

Thanks Miguel! :hug:

PS: Nice, informative links! :D

PPS: I saw the video you linked..yes it does look a lot like dust mite! quite similar physiognomy, legs and walking style :) good job i squished it! :D

Hah, I'm reading up on raising them :D I just need to figure out/build a vivarium and a good capture device.

I used to hate bugs, now I love them.

To anyone who still gets heebie jeebies

F0069813-Eyelash_mites,_SEM-SPL.jpg

These live in your eyelashes. You're covered in wee tiny little mites...

You can buy mite stuffed animals... Jesus I feel sorry for any children I have....

miguelovic said:
Hah, I'm reading up on raising them :D I just need to figure out/build a vivarium and a good capture device.

Good gravy. Only on THP.  :D
miguelovic said:

You can buy mite stuffed animals...

Dust Mite (Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus) Plush Doll
[SIZE=17.84336280822754px]     [/SIZE]Oh my god. I am so glad they meant plush toys. That's SOOO much better than the nightmarish contraption I had in mind. Mmmmm roast turkey with Oribatid mite stuffing!  :sick:
Grass Snake said:
Mites keep your skin healthy by eating dead skin cells. The thought still freaks me out.

No thanks. I'll stick to my washcloth. I knew a dirty hippie once who had scabies. I think his infestation got out of hand because he couldn't tell he had them because he was so used to his normal, everyday dirty hippie itching.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

Good gravy. Only on THP.  :D

Dust Mite (Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus) Plush Doll
[SIZE=17.84336280822754px]     [/SIZE]Oh my god. I am so glad they meant plush toys. That's SOOO much better than the nightmarish contraption I had in mind. Mmmmm roast turkey with Oribatid mite stuffing!  :sick:

:rofl: S'pose that was kind of ambiguous

Back