• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What's worse than finding a worm in an apple?...

yqrUiiK.jpg

that was a nice looking hab that just started turning colour :(

My few bell pepper plants have been getting it too these last few weeks, really annoying to find every other fruit munched on, almost like they just have a taste and then move on to the next fruit. :-)

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the damage G... it looks like you'll need to patrol your plants more often to hand-pick the pests. Fortunately your plants are relatively few in number and (very) close to the house.

i usually don't get much daylight contact time with the plants other than weekends (if i'm lucky enough to not have to work that too!)

the biggest pest right now is these

vQsibYB.jpg

luckily i'm staying relatively pest free and the geckos are doing me alot of good. these dune bugs are too big for them though sadly

I'm having the same problem in my plot at the local organic community garden.  I've done everything I can do - neem oil, DME, baking soda, organicide... Nothing seems to stop them completely.

We call those Japanese Beetles here. We have them in So. Cal. I did not know the ate the plants. I have been seeing a lot of them lately flying through the garden but never actually landing, and I have noticed some of my leaves eaten by what I thought were grasshoppers. Maybe I had the wrong guy. 

SL3 said:
We call those Japanese Beetles here. We have them in So. Cal. I did not know the ate the plants. I have been seeing a lot of them lately flying through the garden but never actually landing, and I have noticed some of my leaves eaten by what I thought were grasshoppers. Maybe I had the wrong guy. 

Yep Japanese beetles will do a number on your plants.  I make sure I kill every one I see.  Next year I'm going to buy some nematodes to kill the grubs so I prevent them from coming up altogether.

i pick 3 or 4 off my plants every night.
i only became aware of them a month ago when i visited my mother in laws allotment and she asked me to cut the beetles eating the tomato in half with scissors.
21 beetles up to their necks in a tomato hanging on the vine!
she said that summer is just a constant battle with them.

and yeah, i worked out that what was making holes in my leaves wasnt actually a flea beetle! it was these.
but they are big, easy to spot and relatively slow moving so i toss them to the ground and squish them whenever i see one (a few times ive even been lucky enough to have been wearing shoes when i do it..eugh..)

georgej said:
What's worse than finding a worm in an apple?

That's an easy one.  Finding 100 worms in your toilet.   :eek:

Although Japanese beetles do munch on my plants from time to time, especially after rain washes all the sevin off my okra, I am thankful we don't have many.  They were really thick in this general area about 20 years ago, to the point that everyone set up those traps that were bags on a wire hanger and they'd just fly down in by the thousands and get stuck then rot all day in the summer sun.  Stunk like crazy but I think some of the smell was also the bait they used to lure them in.

Dave2000 said:

That's an easy one.  Finding 100 worms in your toilet.   :eek:

Although Japanese beetles do munch on my plants from time to time, especially after rain washes all the sevin off my okra, I am thankful we don't have many.  They were really thick in this general area about 20 years ago, to the point that everyone set up those traps that were bags on a wire hanger and they'd just fly down in by the thousands and get stuck then rot all day in the summer sun.  Stunk like crazy but I think some of the smell was also the bait they used to lure them in.

yeah, they are probably called Japanese beetles for a reason. over here in Japan, they tend to be a nuisance. 

Found this the other day...

CAM00927_zpsa2b7968c.jpg

CAM00931_zpsdc7c4a54.jpg

After about 5 minutes after i took removed out from the pod it crawled back inside. Are these things like birds and have no capsaicin sensors?

Back