• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Whats wrong, looks like mold or mildew on top of Jiffy seed starting mix

Seeds were planted April 30th, w/ no germination yet, but last week I noticed like a Mold or mildew starting to grow on top of the Jiffy seed starting mix, the temp has been at a constant 82- 90, I kept them covered for the 1st 2 weeks, but since this has started, I removed the top. I need suggestions whether I need to discard, need air circulation, or not to worry. I'm a newbie, 1st year starting from seeds, I did check 2 of the seeds, and they weren't empty, any help would be much appreciated.
THX

IMAG0107.jpg

I do not use covers for my starters for that very same reason. MOLD! You can remove the surface mold and they should be fine.

The first round of peppers I had were like that in one of their self-watering greehouses. Except mine were much worse. Woulda sworn that it was a mutant dirt-animal with long hair...LOL

I wiped most of it off with a paper towel, put the top back on it and threw it out on the porch, thinking it was all ruined. Went out a week later and...

First Sprouts by THP_PapaBill, on Flickr

Picture was taken a couple days later after taking the top off. It probably wasn't ideal to have the mold, but I don't think it did too much harm either :)

The first round of peppers I had were like that in one of their self-watering greehouses. Except mine were much worse. Woulda sworn that it was a mutant dirt-animal with long hair...LOL

I wiped most of it off with a paper towel, put the top back on it and threw it out on the porch, thinking it was all ruined. Went out a week later and...

First Sprouts by THP_PapaBill, on Flickr

Picture was taken a couple days later after taking the top off. It probably wasn't ideal to have the mold, but I don't think it did too much harm either :)

WOW, thx, I'll keep the hope alive then

I do not use covers for my starters for that very same reason. MOLD! You can remove the surface mold and they should be fine.

THX

I've had mold grow on starter cells with no problem.
If it's too bad, just scrape it off and carry on.
+1 on removing covers when things get moldy.
Too much moisture in the cellls would probably
do more harm than the mold.

I've had mold grow on starter cells with no problem.
If it's too bad, just scrape it off and carry on.
+1 on removing covers when things get moldy.
Too much moisture in the cellls would probably
do more harm than the mold.
TY, the top is off

Cut back on watering. Use a fan to strengthen stems and to increase air flow. If theres mold, you are overwatering. Let them dry out until the point of wilting, then give them less water then usual.

Back