• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Whats Wrong? Purple Leaves And Stunted Growth?

free image uploading

First time poster and grower here.

As you can see the leaves turned purple. Also the purple seedlings are about 1 week older than the ones in the cup.
I ran the light 24 hours for the 1st 3 days just for the purple seedlings.

Also the leaves of the ones in the cup looks to be ridged / bumpy?

They all have the same soil, same fertilizer and same light cycle now. but the cupped ones seems to be growing bigger than the purple ones.

These are Tepin peppers.
The purple lings are placed directly under a 140w led light about 10 inches under it, and the cupped lings are placed to the edge of the light to the side.

Thanks.

There are many kinds of Tepins, at least one of which is a purple. Typically the leaves of purple varieties (purple jalapenos, purple cayennes, etc.) do have purple to them. Also, typically the pods start green, turn a dark purple, then become red when ripe. 

I'm not sure why you think the plants have stunted growth. When did they sprout?

geeme said:
There are many kinds of Tepins, at least one of which is a purple. Typically the leaves of purple varieties (purple jalapenos, purple cayennes, etc.) do have purple to them. Also, typically the pods start green, turn a dark purple, then become red when ripe. 

I'm not sure why you think the plants have stunted growth. When did they sprout?

They sprouted 6/24. I think theyre stunded because they sprouted 1 week earlier than the lings in the cup and they seem to be bigger also theyre not purple.Thanks

:welcome:

The leaves look like they're purple because of "sun tan", which is essentially when the light "tans" the foliage. Notice I say tan not burn. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, its just a very common occurrence with artificial lighting. The plants that I have growing under my 300w LED are about 15-20 inches away from the light. I say 15-20 inches because some of my plants are taller than each other. Sometimes the light tans the veins and stems the same purplish color, it just happens.

As for the stunted growth, it seems like you've confused the seedlings in a way. If you're going to run the lights for 24 hours, do it for two weeks instead of 3 days. Also, 10 inches away from the seedling with a 150w LED seems like a lot for such a young plant. Suspend the light farther away from the plants and let them bounce back.

In conclusion, I think your purple seedlings are confused right now and aren't sure what to do because they aren't in consistent growing conditions. It sounds like the intensity of the light has tanned the foliage and made it turn purple, as well as the light being too intense. Just don't baby them too much and keep the plants on a consistent 18/6 light cycle. 18 hours on, 6 hours off. Keep the light suspended about 16-18 inches away from the seedlings and let them grow up towards the light. As the plants get more mature, you could probably get away with 12-15 inches away from the plants. But NEVER keep the LED below 10 inches. LED's are briiiiiiight!

spicefreak said:
Came in knowing the answer ahead of time, only to find that Obey has said it all and then some. Trust his advice, he knows his stuff.

Thanks SpiceFreak! I've been so active on the forum lately and giving grow tips so often because I'm currently laid up at home in bed sick with mono. Just trying to pass the time!

obeychase said:
:welcome:

The leaves look like they're purple because of "sun tan", which is essentially when the light "tans" the foliage. Notice I say tan not burn. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, its just a very common occurrence with artificial lighting. The plants that I have growing under my 300w LED are about 15-20 inches away from the light. I say 15-20 inches because some of my plants are taller than each other. Sometimes the light tans the veins and stems the same purplish color, it just happens.

As for the stunted growth, it seems like you've confused the seedlings in a way. If you're going to run the lights for 24 hours, do it for two weeks instead of 3 days. Also, 10 inches away from the seedling with a 150w LED seems like a lot for such a young plant. Suspend the light farther away from the plants and let them bounce back.

In conclusion, I think your purple seedlings are confused right now and aren't sure what to do because they aren't in consistent growing conditions. It sounds like the intensity of the light has tanned the foliage and made it turn purple, as well as the light being too intense. Just don't baby them too much and keep the plants on a consistent 18/6 light cycle. 18 hours on, 6 hours off. Keep the light suspended about 16-18 inches away from the seedlings and let them grow up towards the light. As the plants get more mature, you could probably get away with 12-15 inches away from the plants. But NEVER keep the LED below 10 inches. LED's are briiiiiiight!
Thanks a lot. Will do your advices.

Back