• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health What's wrong with my Rocoto?

Bought this two days ago at the markets, looked a little under the weather, didnt pay much attention to it. The leaves were slightly browned at the edges, but it was straight from Herbs R Us, the biggest chilli plant supplier in WA, and I have lots already from them, all doing well. Put it in the sun for a day, assuming it was hardened off. Repotted it that night into the pot my kaffir lime came in, then 3/4 of a day of shade and some gentle afternoon rays to give it a poke along. This morning, I come out to find that it looks like this:

Rocoto5.jpg

Rocoto3.jpg

Rocoto4.jpg

The blair skull was all I had at hand for sizing.

When I got it, all it had was the top set of leaves on it, with all buds below that nipped off. I guessed that it had been cut back at the nursery to keep it from getting too big for sale. There is some new growth, so Im hoping that even if all the leaves do fall off, it has enough energy to grow more. It's too late for it to grow fruit this year I think, but it should overwinter well here.I have watered it twice, everything I have done is the same as when I normally buy a plant, what went wrong this time? And also, what do you think its chances are?

I think if it doesnt make it, I might contact the nursery and ask them if the others had any trouble, this is starting to get to me!

Just had another look at them, and saw a small yellow bug, Dont know what it was, didnt want it there, so gave it a double dose of my most severe go-away-bug spray, will see what happens.

I suppose it could be sunscald, but I don't think it would become that decimated in a day...

looks like you got something going on with the plumbing that causes the end/edges of the leaves to die...if it were me, I would pull all the damaged leaves off and let it be for a while...

beats me McGoo...good luck...

Hmmm, I was looking around the site while putting off going to bed, when I saw this on AlabamaJack's personal page:
magnesiumdeficiencyxe0.th.jpg

Magnesium Deficiency in leaves.

This looks quite similar to what I have, and makes me wonder if the plants recieved a recent dose of nitrogen or phosporous, enough to knock out the magnesium balance, which is what could have happened according to this:
ElementBall.jpg

This is from an old gardening book I have, very useful. Where an arrow points in a direction, that indicates that something (say, potassium), in xcess, causes an upset in something else (in this case, manganese).
Anyway, Im going to give the plant some foliar magnesium spray and see what happens, and leave it out of the sunlight. Unfortunately I cant do a controlled test, but between shade, bug spray, and magnesium, hopefully I found whatever it was that caused it.

So in short, thanks AJ! You may have helped me out without knowing it!

Back