• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health What's wrong with these leaves?

Hello everyone, some time ago I posted a topic for the same reason, people said that I don't have anything to worry about, that's nice, but still I feel like I'm doing something wrong! One leaf just turned floppy and died, although it was still green, well I dont have a pic of that particular leaf but I have other pics: 

https://ibb.co/qJZPkCz

https://ibb.co/hY7JZkD

https://ibb.co/NtJ1bY9

Older leaves look normal, I water when the soil surface is dry, sometimes I used tea fertilizer made out of grass clippings and weeds.

Thanks for any help, and I hope I'm not overly reacting, but I prefer to react fast than be sorry. Also, that's my first pepper plant.  :P

you're over water your plant.  You want the soil surface to be dry, you should only be watering when the soil at the roots is dry.  Let it wilt before your next watering, write down how long between waterings it took for it to wilt, start watering at whatever that interval is.  

Doelman said:
you're over water your plant.  You want the soil surface to be dry, you should only be watering when the soil at the roots is dry.  Let it wilt before your next watering, write down how long between waterings it took for it to wilt, start watering at whatever that interval is.  

Thanks for your reply, I'll check this out  ;)

Rachhet said:

Thanks for your reply, I'll check this out  ;)
Also, once you reduce watering, watch the color of the leaves and if they green up.  Yours look a bit pale which means you either flushed out nutrients or the soil is too moist and the roots are having a hard time taking them up.  If in two weeks new growth is still pale, you'll need to feed it.

Rachhet said:

Nope, It's indoors the whole time, maybe It's overwatering like someone else suggested? 

Probably is, but I wanted to make sure, because the leaves are definitely indoor leaves, and the browning and necrotic tissue sometimes also happens when they aren't hardened off properly, and are put in the sun too soon.

I kinda dont agree with letting the plant wilt before watering though. It stresses the plant and from my experience, that's when the pests like to strike. It's just a pattern I've noticed

Edmick said:
I kinda dont agree with letting the plant wilt before watering though. It stresses the plant and from my experience, that's when the pests like to strike. It's just a pattern I've noticed

If we're talking regular waterings, I wholeheartedly agree.  But when it comes to "learning to water", then wilting is often the only clue that some new gardeners are able to pick up on. It's the only way that some pick up on the cue to check the weight of the container, etc.  Doing it for any other reason, though, falls under the category of "fiddling". :)

Doelman said:
Also, once you reduce watering, watch the color of the leaves and if they green up.  Yours look a bit pale which means you either flushed out nutrients or the soil is too moist and the roots are having a hard time taking them up.  If in two weeks new growth is still pale, you'll need to feed it.

Useful tips here, thanks. Do you think that maybe my fertilizer made from grass clippings and weeds is too weak, or has the wrong nutrients, and that also may be the cause? If so, maybe I should buy fertilizer from the shop. Also, I noticed that discolorations begin
at the edges or tip of the leaf, affected parts get pale green and floppy.

solid7 said:

Probably is, but I wanted to make sure, because the leaves are definitely indoor leaves, and the browning and necrotic tissue sometimes also happens when they aren't hardened off properly, and are put in the sun too soon.

That's interesting, thanks for your help in this thread  :P
I suspected that it's a problem with watering or with my fertilizer. Also funny, I didn't saw such symptoms in any plants on the internet.

solid7 said:

If we're talking regular waterings, I wholeheartedly agree.  But when it comes to "learning to water", then wilting is often the only clue that some new gardeners are able to pick up on. It's the only way that some pick up on the cue to check the weight of the container, etc.  Doing it for any other reason, though, falls under the category of "fiddling". :)
I get it. It makes sense to the new grower but in the long run it just creates more problems. Water stressing plants is basically just ringing the dinner bell to pests. My first advice would be to choose the right soil. Hot/arid climate- soil that holds moisture better. Humid/wet climate- soil that drains better.

Edmick said:
I get it. It makes sense to the new grower but in the long run it just creates more problems.
Yep. Which is ideally why we'd want to get away from doing it, ASAP. (there should be no "long term") 
This is a really tough thing when new growers come in, not knowing about the saturation point of media, how it affects small containers vs large containers, etc.  This topic deserves a big sticky topic of its own.  Maybe someday I'll do a write-up.  (when is a good time to start procrastinating doing that?)

Rachhet said:

Useful tips here, thanks. Do you think that maybe my fertilizer made from grass clippings and weeds is too weak, or has the wrong nutrients, and that also may be the cause? If so, maybe I should buy fertilizer from the shop. Also, I noticed that discolorations begin
at the edges or tip of the leaf, affected parts get pale green and floppy.
You're making fertilizer tea from fresh grass clippings and weeds?  That wouldn't be too weak, there would be no nutrients at all in that.  Since you're starting off, just buy stuff from the store.  No reason to make things even harder for you when you're just starting out.

All those issues sound like over watering to me.  Again, I wouldn't feed immediately, let that soil dry off, water it at an appropriate interval, and give it a few weeks and see if new growth greens up.  If you're using a commercial potting soil, that stuff generally has fertilizer already in it so you may be fine.

solid7 said:
Yep. Which is ideally why we'd want to get away from doing it, ASAP. (there should be no "long term") 
This is a really tough thing when new growers come in, not knowing about the saturation point of media, how it affects small containers vs large containers, etc.  This topic deserves a big sticky topic of its own.  Maybe someday I'll do a write-up.  (when is a good time to start procrastinating doing that?)
Yeah that's what I was suggesting.  Just doing it once so he learns what the watering interval is, not actually letting it wilt before every watering

Doelman said:
Yeah that's what I was suggesting.  Just doing it once so he learns what the watering interval is, not actually letting it wilt before every watering

I know.  I agree with both you and Ed.  This is "training wheels".

Back