• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health What's wrong with these peppers/leaves?

Here's the full history
Mostly Datil peppers and a few Reapers
I started these back in Janurary indoors. They did very well indoors.I topped them a few times and have them pretty sturdy and some very bushy.
I've been bottom feeding them FloraGro  2-1-6 liquid fertilizer since they had leaves.
They looked great but were rootbound as they were all in plastic solo cups.

I didn't get them used to the outdoors well. I moved them outside and went on vacation, they were in a bit of shock from the sun/heat and wilting bad so I brought them back in to bring them to life.
I put them back out and here's where they stand.

They now live in   1/3rd soil/topsoil/manure

Any ideas? They've been very slow growth since I put them outside. I read it takes older plants awhile to get used to the outdoors. Do I bring them back in? Missing a specific nutrients? I looked at the nutrients picture in the FAQ but can't decide. I'd like to get them back in action so I can get a harvest this year. It's my first time ever growing peppers or pretty anything.

The picture with them in cups is indoors back in January, not as large as they got but healthy.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20180106_223521.jpg
    20180106_223521.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 91
  • 20180523_194442_resized.jpg
    20180523_194442_resized.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 20180523_194536_resized.jpg
    20180523_194536_resized.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 79
If you've mixed them in equal parts of soil/topsoil/manure, then that's your problem right there.  That mixture is a recipe for compaction.
I would advise you to either get them in the ground, ASAP, or else lighten that mix.  For potted plants, in general, you shouldn't add more than 5% compost.  Suggest a mix more like 70% peat, 25% perlite, 5% compost.  And if you're using cow manure from a bag at the store, I'd not recommend ever using that stuff in pots.  Homemade compost, like that made from leaf litter, is much better.  Or, worst case, buy some worm castings.  Also, if you don't know how to build a mix, buy some good quality bagged mix.
Building a proper mix is crucial to the success of your plants.  You're always going to get somebody claiming success using a super heavy mix.  But that is the exception, not the rule.
Just out of curiosity...  Any reason why you wouldn't take advantage of that rich Georgia soil?  Containers is always going to be harder, if you have fertile soil...

Thanks a ton for your reply. 
Well I'm scared to put them in the ground if they aren't hardened off yet so i'm taking them in and outside. Maybe I will till it up and put some in the ground to see how it likes our soil.

I was going to use Miracle Gro - Raised Bed Soil for my cheaper peppers outside. Should I just buy that for all my pots and replant? I've already bought 1 bag I was going to try.
https://www.miraclegro.com/sites/g/files/oydgjc111/files/asset_files/T35075_73959430_BG5475_092916_CFL_0.pdf
It doesn't give the exact mix but it does have peat  and worm castings like you mentioned.

I guess I overdid it with my mix. This Raised bed soil claims its ready to use no-mix. It's my first time so looking for something dummy proof, don't mind spending the $8 a bag.
Thanks

No, that's not for containers.  Raised beds, by virtue of their volume, can get away with heavier mixes than containers.
You want a potting mix for pots.  Soil for the ground, everything else for its intended purpose.
The mix that I recommended to you will be fairly cheap, and guaranteed to work for you.  Maybe also check your local nurseries and garden centers for bulk mix.  They know what it takes to build a mix that will make them money, based on your local conditions. If you're new to soil building and/or gardening, that's a great start.  

Also, start hardening your plants off by putting them in full shade for two days.  On the third day, give them late afternoon/early evening sunlight for two more days.  On the fifth day, give them sun starting at about 2:00 in the afternoon, for 2-3 days.  By the end of a week to ten days, give them full sun.

I see, I had no idea. I may mix it myself then with your suggestion, i did recall reading that peat was good for peppers due to it being less dense.

I'll just get a few of these and mix it with some perlite unless I hear otherwise.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/3-cu-ft-Peat-Moss-Sphagnum/50339650

Decent compost may be harder to find...I see a 'mushroom compost' but it's probably very soil-like. I'll probably check a local nursery for suggestions/compost before I Pull the trigger.

Thank you very much. If I get a harvest I'll let you know!

Yes, that's what you need.  
The mushroom compost will be fine. (worm castings would be even better) Just don't use tons of it.  Like I said, <5% is all you need.  And if you plan do garden in the future, a homemade compost pile is really of high value.

Ive used a lot of Just Natural brand mushroom compost with great success. It tends to dry out fast if used in large amounts. The bags ive gotten don't look much like dirt at all. They have all been very high in organic matter.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Ive used a lot of Just Natural brand mushroom compost with great success. It tends to dry out fast if used in large amounts. The bags ive gotten don't look much like dirt at all. They have all been very high in organic matter.

Be aware, though, that Just Natural Mushroom is produced regionally, and varies drastically, from place to place, and batch to batch.
Here in Florida, it usually looks more like soil, with a high sand content.  That tells me that it's laying on the ground, and gets mixed up with whatever soil it's resting on.  The stuff that we get doesn't work all that well.  But I know that in other parts of the country, it gets rave reviews...

My herb box right now is probably 60%+ Just Natural brand top dressed with a raised bed mix. Only because i had the mix handy and it needed a tiny bit more. When its 80F+ and full sun i have to water it pretty much everyday. A couple years ago i grew a orange hab in pretty much straight mushroom compost. It produced a ton of pods. During the peak of the summer it needed watering everyday or it would droop.

No idea where mine is produced but it is extremely high in organic matter and drains/dries fast.

This year im trying a 40% compost mix with 40% aged pine fines and 20% rice hulls. In a black fabric pot it will dry out within 2 days in full sun. It seems more forgiving in a hard pot but drainage is still stellar. At $62 a cubic yard this stuff is a bargain especially if used as a smallish ground plot amendment.

Interesting about the mushroom compost. 
Maybe i'll try a few different ratios in the pots, and one with a little of my raised bed soil in my brick planter since i have it..could make for an interesting experiment. Especially since I'm new.
Now i'm Interested to see the consistency of the mushroom compost available to me (Black Velvet brand).

Back