• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Whats wrong with this pepper plant?

I'm curious to read what everyone thinks could be an issue with this Serrano plant.  It looks like crap right now!

It's now 4 years old, in direct sunlight, watered twice a day on a drip system at its base for 10 minutes each time 12 hrs apart.  I fertilize it with 48-0-0 each February and it drops all leaves soon after, then starts new growth and blooms before the leaves are really apparent.  This pic was JUST taken today so zoom in to see just how many peppers are on it now, and its still blooming.  I trim it back each fall to keep it under 4' tall.  The leaves are really starting to fill in as usual for it this time of the year.  The plant beneath it is Oregano, also 4 years old and trimmed OFTEN.  I also scratch in chicken compost each spring.   It is a constant source of peppers of all ripeness.

I'm kidding about it looking like crap...  It looks just like it does every year at this point.  Don't overthink your fert's!

VqQ7Vsz.jpg

Australia here, I am definitely going to go the no bottled nutrients route in the next growing season. I can only grow inside of a container so it will be interesting to see how it goes. 

Nuclieye said:
This pic was JUST taken today so zoom in to see just how many peppers are on it now, and its still blooming. 

WoW! You ain't kidding!

In order to get the zoom right click on the pic and select Open image in new tab... When IMGUR opens left click on the image.

Looking good as usual. Great looking plant. Looks like it's time to pick some of them. I prefer red ones myself, but I would think the plant would respond to a little harvesting.

How's the Tepin Reaper doing?

Hi Nuclieye - you live pretty much the exact opposite side of the equator to me (Adelaide, Australia) 
I was wondering how this plant fairs in winter. Did you do anything to it during winter or do you just leave it alone?

Well the first thing your doing wrong is..........
wait im thinking...............
Wheels are turning.............
Nope, I got nothing, HAHAHAHA I am very jealous as I am in western NY and I wish I could get plants in the ground and looking like that. Everyone up here uses pepper plants as an annual, not realizing with proper care they are a perennial..... But who has the space and $$$ to keep a large enough space heated.

Looks great. Absolutely stunning. :dance:

OCD Chilehead said:
Looking good as usual. Great looking plant. Looks like it's time to pick some of them. I prefer red ones myself, but I would think the plant would respond to a little harvesting.

How's the Tepin Reaper doing?

I have two of my hybrids from last years left and are now at my roof line but few leaves as I hit them with the same 48-0-0 in February.  They are just now starting to come around with new leaves.  Hundreds of volunteers from them though.  

Wow, definitely can’t grow all year in this part of AZ. I’m just below the Hualapai Mountains at 5000 ft. All we get is Phoenix news out here and the weather is completely different. Hail storm just a few days ago. All plants were taken out in early March and had to be brought back inside until I can trust the weather to stay above 50 at night. Originally from So Cal so this is a real learning curve for me. Nice pepper tree you got there!

Common knowledge around here says that you need to top it, and pluck the flowers if you are to get any pods...looks like you have some work to do :)

nzchili said:
Common knowledge around here says that you need to top it, and pluck the flowers if you are to get any pods...looks like you have some work to do :)

Personally I like to mess with nature as much as possible

It does look crap. Well, mostly it is good, with the huge size and bountiful pods and all, but the contrast with the background is all wrong. Should be palm trees in the background, like at my house. I can fix it for you, if you want!
Send to: MrG. 12, ThreeFour Roads, Bandung, Indonesia.

Back