• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health whats wrong with this plant

I have 2 reaper plants which I started last summer.  I transplanted both, 1 into a larger pot and the other into the ground.  As u can c in the enclosed pictures the one in the ground is so green while the other is yellow.  I did take 2 photos one in the sun and the other in the shade.  Why is it so yellow.  Oh the one in the ground finally got some peppers.It's been a long time coming. View attachment Photos (10).zip

There's absolutely no way that I'm opening a zip archive from a user with less than 20 posts.  No offense.
Unzip that folder, and post your pics in the forum, if you want a good diagnosis.

All I did was click "choose file & attach file" that is listed below a new topic window.  I have no clue hiow to do it differently.  So just forget it.

I looked at the pics and there is definitely an issue. Unfortunately I'm not an expert at deciding what the issue is. I recommend adding more info on grow media and any kind of fertilizer that you have added. I'm also curious how much water that plant has received.

Here is his immage

Attachments

• IMG_20200908_115528728_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200908_115528728_HDR.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 90
laserbeam said:
All I did was click "choose file & attach file" that is listed below a new topic window.  I have no clue hiow to do it differently.  So just forget it.

The point was not to insult or offend you.  Simply, it's that zip files are archives which can contain any manner of files that can be run automatically upon extraction.  I won't compromise my computer for something that isn't verified or backed up by a reputable company.
People want to help you, but there is a method to presenting the info.  Insert the individual pics, not the zip archive. 
Or, at least thank Mr. Joe for posting for you. 

I compiled a list of nutrient deficiencies/toxicity from my readings, i'm no expert, but maybe it has to do with some trace element deficiency/toxicity?
Again, these are just my notes, i'm sure seasoned members/growers on here can chime in and give better direction.
The following are nutrients that mention yellowing as a symptom:

Molybdenum (Mo)
-       Deficiency: The foliage turns yellow-green and growth is somewhat restricted. The deficiency occurs most commonly on acidic substrates.
-       Excess/Toxicity: Rarely observed. Sometimes leaves turn golden yellow.

Boron (B)
-       Deficiency: The deficiency manifests itself very quickly. The lower leaves curl upwards. Growth is stunted. The plant develops a thick, short stem. The apex withers and the leaves become yellow from bottom to top of the plant. There is a reduced production of flowers, and fruit setting is poor. Boron deficiency; the growing points die and decay, and the leaves are misshapen.
-       Excess/Toxicity: Yellowing of leaf tip followed by progressive necrosis of the leaf beginning at tip or margins and proceeding toward midrib.

Sulfur (S)
-       Deficiency: Causes leaves to become yellowish.
-       Excess/Toxicity: Reduction in growth and leaf size. Leaf symptoms often absent or poorly defined. Sometimes interveinal yellowing or leaf burning

I would suggest to first check the PH of the dirt and water after you added the nuts.

If PH is wrong the plant cannot take up some of the nutrients which will cause deficiencies even if you use the correct amount nuts.

You should also check the water quality how much PPM does the tap water have? If its to high you will get a lockout and water need to be cleaned true a RO filter to lower the PPM value. (I have to do this).
If PPM value is to high the plant wont get all the nuts you feed it with cause the water already contains other minerals and such taking it place.

It can also be caused by over watering the plants. If all seems ok. I would try add some more Nitrogen maybe some chicken poo.

Good Luck!

The next issue is, nothing is specified.  What did you plant this plant in?  What did you add to it?  How long did it take to change to this color.  Details, details, details...
The plant is exhibiting an odd combination of off-color, but visually good growth habit.  I find that unusual.  No leaves seem to be falling off, or changing shape.  

laserbeam said:

You have successfully posted pix in the past (More on that later.). but right now this is about posting a file that is not a picture file but a .>zip file..

ZIP1.jpg

Your pix posts are in jpg/jpeg format....

ZIP2.jpg

laserbeam said:
I have this reaper plant that was started over the summer in a qt size pot, by the fall it needed a larger size so I transfered it to a bit of a larger pot but not 5 gal.  The roots were taking up the whole pot when it was moved and I did not disturb them at all so when it got into this bigger pot it grew more on the top, it's now top heavy and falling over, can I trim the top off and not hurt the plant?  I do have 2 other plants which are doing very well indoors so I won't be without a plant.  Any suggestions?_

post-15839-0-09700800-1575737227_thumb.jpg

Mr.joe said:
Here is his immage
First of all, dry the substrate until the turgor falls. Do not water often.
As the brother wrote above, measure the pH and PPM of your water when irrigating.
Change the substratum - this is a fundamental decision on which there is time to think.

I transplanted these plants in late April in Miracle grow potting soil.  I fed then once a month with fish emulsion and left the rain water them, I did water them whan it was dry.  I ust did a ph test and it came out a 7.  

When I look at the photos I took of these plants they are listed as a jpeg file so I have no clue why it came up a zip file.  I am not that tech smart so I don't know how to change it.  I downloaded the photos from google photos then sent them here, but I've done that in the past and there were no problems.

laserbeam said:
When I look at the photos I took of these plants they are listed as a jpeg file so I have no clue why it came up a zip file.  I am not that tech smart so I don't know how to change it.  I downloaded the photos from google photos then sent them here, but I've done that in the past and there were no problems.

I have a question, Are you posting from a phone or a computer?

laserbeam said:
I downloaded the photos from google photos then sent them here,
Sorry, I can't help you with this other than it is a known issue.> My photo downloads from Google photos arrive as ZIP files that I cannot open or move to a USB?

laserbeam said:
I transplanted these plants in late April in Miracle grow potting soil.  I fed then once a month with fish emulsion and left the rain water them, I did water them whan it was dry.  I ust did a ph test and it came out a 7.  

1.The pepper plant doesn't like over-watering and you left it out in the rain.
2.pH 7 on the verge of alkaline environment.
3. Perhaps there is a lot of phosphorus in the fish emulsion, and it is toxic.
My recommendation is to stop watering it until the turgor is weakened.

evolka said:

1.The pepper plant doesn't like over-watering and you left it out in the rain.
2.pH 7 on the verge of alkaline environment.
3. Perhaps there is a lot of phosphorus in the fish emulsion, and it is toxic.
My recommendation is to stop watering it until the turgor is weakened.

1. doesn't cause just yellowing, and we'd expect either wilting or leaves falling off - but they don't maintain shape
2. this is patently wrong. 7 is a perfectly fine pH for peppers.
3. Not a lot of phosphorus in fish emulsion - not enough to cause a problem
Of all 3 of these, #3 seems closest, but still need more info.  It's most likely that something caused an antagonistic disruption with some other nutrient.  A close-up pic of leaves would be helpful.

solid7 said:

1. doesn't cause just yellowing, and we'd expect either wilting or leaves falling off - but they don't maintain shape
2. this is patently wrong. 7 is a perfectly fine pH for peppers.
3. Not a lot of phosphorus in fish emulsion - not enough to cause a problem
Of all 3 of these, #3 seems closest, but still need more info.  It's most likely that something caused an antagonistic disruption with some other nutrient.  A close-up pic of leaves would be helpful.
These are my assumptions.
There is very little information. It is difficult to judge only by appearance.
Pepper pH is ideal 6.5 - 6.8 pH 7 can cause deficiencies.
The cause can be a combination of many problems.

I suggest drying the root system. This can eliminate some problems.

evolka said:
Pepper pH is ideal 6.5 - 6.8 pH 7 can cause deficiencies.
To say that deficiencies occur at a neutral pH in peppers, is complete nonsense.  I'm not going to argue that 6.5-6.8 is ideal - but small deviations (less than .5) outside of those numbers is certainly not deficiency territory.
Further, one would only be so concerned about "ideal" in pure hydro, or completely inert media.
Peppers are highly forgiving, and very easy to grow.

solid7 said:
To say that deficiencies occur at a neutral pH in peppers, is complete nonsense.  I'm not going to argue that 6.5-6.8 is ideal - but small deviations (less than .5) outside of those numbers is certainly not deficiency territory.
Further, one would only be so concerned about "ideal" in pure hydro, or completely inert media.
Peppers are highly forgiving, and very easy to grow.
Especially in Kansas!!!  :rofl:

Back