• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite What's your favorite and why?

Yellow 7 Pot(also Yellow 7 Pod...each one has been stated as the correct name)
Nice citrus/pineapple start, followed by a piercing heat

Petins-A unique flavor unto itself, a sharp hot but short lived bite, kind of addicting.....

wild brazil > citrus,habanero almost fruit loop flavor

aji omni-color > fruity citrus flavor good heat nice fresh flavor

wiri wiri "ma"> hard to explain just very yummy

jamaican hot choco hab> awesome smokey hab flavor with a respectable amount of heat

arabibi gusano > not too hot and heat goes away quick flavor is hab like but hard to explain unless you try one

fatalii > citrus but very unique in flavor awesome heat

aji yellow > not very hot has a fresh fruity citrus flavor all its own

i have quite a few more but well i would be hear forever i love hot peppers!!

thanks your friend Joe

Cayenne - easy to grow, not too hot, easy to dry and is great fresh with food
Hot Lemon - awesome taste and easily enjoyed fresh with food. Pretty mild
Aji Crystal - So tasty and quite mild so easily enjoyed
Bhut and all related varieties - great taste, intense heat and easy to dry
Bonda Ma Jacques - possibly best tasting pepper, but maybe a tad too hot for every day usage.
Chocolate Hab - love its unique flavour and great heat
7pod Jonah - rediculous heat but oh what an intense taste

JalapeƱo - a wide range of uses
Anaheim - delicious roasted
Caribbean Red - overall great heat and flavor, but not too extreme
Bhut Jolokia - tastes awesome with intense heat
African Birdseye - extremely productive and packs major heat with hardly any flavor

I'm sure this will be different by the end of this season as I haven't had any fresh trinidad varieties bar y7p, but out of what I have tasted so far...

Jalapeno (Ripe) - Just plain... they're tasty as
Aji Limon - Awesome flavour
Yellow Bhut - Slightly citrusy bhut flavour is great
Yellow 7 pot - Great flavour
Ball Chilli - Not hot at all, but ever so sweet and meaty

1. Dorset, has a great unique taste that blends in well but lingers for a long time
  2. Trinidad Scorpion, great taste, massive strong plants that are prolific producers of thick walled pods

Fingerhots: eat em like a pickle

TS: sauces a must can't eat em plain

Honkies: 1 step up from fingerhots

Jalapeno: just good all around

Naga: good heat makes great dry mix

Aji Lemons for salsa or cooking. Great citrus flavor and aroma.

Orange Habs for snacking. I love the flavor of Habs and the heat level is perfect for me.

Bahamian Goat: Awesome lingering powerful flavor and strong aroma, nice and hot too.
Chocolate Habanero: Awesome unique flavor and aroma and perfect heat
Serrano: Great fresh flavor and heat
Hungarian Hot Wax: Love the flavor and "peppery" aroma.
Indian Jwala/Pusa Jwala: Productive and versatile, good heat and green chili flavor
Just about any baccatum because of their unique fruity citrusy flavor.

Yellow Scorpion- Easy eating, great tasting pepper. Love the crisp crunch and light heat

Butch T- Great for kicking up a home made hot sauce, or to entertain friends when I'm drunk. I never learn!

Carribean Red- These compliment my Mango Salsa so well I have renamed it "Carribean Red Mango Salsa"

Aji Cristal- Love the lemongrass like taste.

i have very limited experience tasting peppers
Scotch bonet- nice heat, and good flavor

Douglah- i used one to make straberry infused jam, was amazing

Aji lemon-great to eat with bacon and eggs

fatalii- great heat to flavor ratio
i am sure my list will continue to grow as this is my first year growing/ tasting exotic peppers.

new mexico green chili.
best tasting chili on the planet!

second favorite would be the thai chili since its the number one chill I cook with.

In my relatively limited experience... Tabasco is both my favorite drying variety as well as my favorite "snack" (eat straight off the plant) variety. Excellent taste as a powder, and not so ridiculously hot that it can't be eaten whole fresh off the plant.

My favorite jalapenos are the Jalapeno M and Biker Billy Hybrid.

I really like the Rocoto Red, for both its unique flavor and the freaking INSANE growth the plant puts on. It really let me down last year, then just as I was about to toss it to the curb in fall and call it a failure, I noticed a little hidden pepper starting to ripen on it. Now the thing's going so nuts, I don't know how I'll bring it indoors for its tons of fruits to ripen...

The Hot Lemon was a really good variety, although it grew so big and required more water (ie. it needed a much bigger pot) that the plant was sort of a chore to take care of. It's awesome sliced up and put in spaghetti, though.

Many of my favorites are C. chinenses though, but this is also the species I've tried the most varieties of. The problem is, I've had a hell of a lot of good ones, but also several not-so-good one. There are too many good ones to list, and I'm trying to refine my list of favorites... but it's hard to do.

Back