• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Whats your favorite short/semi-short Pepper to grow

Well this is my first time starting a topic so here goes...

What is your favorite short/semi-short Varieties and why ?(please explain, example: taste great, very prolific, early maturing, beautifull, etc.)

examples:

White Fatalii Only about 8" (according to Pepperlovers description) Prolific, hot, does well in containers,etc. 
Christmas pepper 6-12" Pequin type, because it's prolific, short, Ornamental, and a little sweet with the Heat
Aurora Pepper ,6" Pequin type, because it's Colorfull, ornamental,early (60-70 days) and less than 6" tall

I grew a "Thai Hot" pepper last year that was very compact, very prolific, and had a very hot dry heat.  Good for adding heat with little change in flavor.  Could probably make a nice red pepper flake.  I think most Thai varieties would work fit this description

mpicante said:
Short plants 'zimbabwe bird' these get about a foot a half tall very prolific easy to harvest and pack a short burst of heat.Good fresh or dried.They make a pretty good pizza topping.
Snatched up some of those zimbabwe bird seeds from the train. Cant wait to get it started later this year.

Also my white fatalii is staying very small and I can tell it will be a short prolific plant. 

Have no idea about flavor yet!

Yellowfin2na said:
Snatched up some of those zimbabwe bird seeds from the train. Cant wait to get it started later this year.

Also my white fatalii is staying very small and I can tell it will be a short prolific plant. 

Have no idea about flavor yet!
ah yes capsicum frutescens....actually this plant fits the ornamental category as well.Let me know how you like them.

Not sure on the validity of white fatalii, mine is taller than that and just starting to throw flowers. It just got to my hydro system from a 3" pot. Other plants are still waiting on plant out.

So far my shortest bushiest plants are white bullet habanero, orange wild brazil and cumari do para though they may bet bigger as summer progresses. 

What fatalii top left

D3monic said:
Not sure on the validity of white fatalii, mine is taller than that and just starting to throw flowers. It just got to my hydro system from a 3" pot. Other plants are still waiting on plant out.

So far my shortest bushiest plants are white bullet habanero, orange wild brazil and cumari do para though they may bet bigger as summer progresses. 

What fatalii top left

You know what i forgot about the bullet hab. Yes the bullet hab is also my shortest flowering plant. The stems are quite thin on mine compared to the white Fatalii but I would guess that's because it has small light weight fruit to hold up.

Yellowfin2na said:
You know what i forgot about the bullet hab. Yes the bullet hab is also my shortest flowering plant. The stems are quite thin on mine compared to the white Fatalii but I would guess that's because it has small light weight fruit to hold up.

of course, I forgot about the White Bullet Hab too...
How did I not plant that this year  :confused:  (I'm pretty sure I've got seeds for that one)
D3monic said:

What fatalii top left

Demonic, Is this your first year growing the White Fatalii ? & is this the one developed by Judy @ Pepperlover ?
this is my first year growing her White Fatalii, I was just going off of her description.

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:

of course, I forgot about the White Bullet Hab too...
How did I not plant that this year  :confused:  (I'm pretty sure I've got seeds for that one)

Demonic, Is this your first year growing the White Fatalii ? & is this the one developed by Judy @ Pepperlover ?
this is my first year growing her White Fatalii, I was just going off of her description.

My first year growing it and not sure if the original stock came from her but doubtful. 

Okay thanks, it is one of my shortest seedlings that sprouted quickly if it truly grows SHORT I may plant them in a windowbox next year. This year I am giving the plants that I am told are small 2 gallon containers, the larger ones are getting 5 or 7 gallon containers

Of the varieties I am growing these are the ones from what I understand stay short/compact:

Caribbean Red
White Bullet Habanero
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Madame Jeanette

Possibly others. Also if anyone can correct me in thinking any of these are small/compact I would appreciate that.

Back