wheat beer..why???

I was wondering why do people enjoy drinking wheat beer? Hoegaarden was the latest one I've had and it just reminded me about all the things I didn't like about it lol
To me it smells like hot dogs and when I drink it I just picture myself drinking carbonated hot dog water. Yes ew

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. For the people that do like it, what am I missing?

I don't know much about different beers, but personally, I prefer a wheat beer > an IPA. I think lots of IPA's are way too bitter and gross and wheat beers aren't that pungent. I'm not the biggest fan of hoegoaarden, but my first legal and one of my favorite beers is actually honey brown

Why?  Cause it's deeeelish!  I enjoy all beer in this world save Camo.  Everything else is fair game.  

There isn't much labeled beer I won't drink. French Canadian hi-test is a bit to get your gob around.

Rymerpt said:
I enjoy a hefavisen (sp) I think you would call it wheat beer. I always have lemon with it. Yum!

Likewise. Hoegaarden and hefeweizen (googled it hehe) are much more palatable the first time around with a slice of citrus. Orange, lemon, etc.

Hoegaarden is actually one of my favorite wheat beers. I don't really drink them besides that one. The key to is is to get it as cold as possible, put it in a frosty mug, shake some salt on top of the head, and drink up.... they're pretty tasty! But usually, Coors Light or Mich Ultra are my go to beers

They aren't my cup of tea, except maybe in summertime or when then mood strikes. But, I know a lot of folks who love them! I've noticed people who love hoppy IPA (me) tend to disfavor wheat beers and visa versa. My wife likes Widmer Hefeweizen and Hoegaarden (as do my German relatives), but won't touch my IPAs.

There's no beer I truly hate, and the more varieties the better!

hello

it just may not be your style

try Bells "OBERON" found it to be very tasty and very drinkable and completely different than Hoegartten

as for the WHY part of your question that's actually one you may have to answer for yourself,EVERYONE's TASTE IS DIFFERENT
i have friends that love IPA  I DO NOT!!
Wheat beers are not my fav style and i stick with what i like such as STOUTS,PORTERS,BELGIANS and some EURO LAGERS such as CARLSBERG ELEPHANT when i want something a little lighter
this is not to say i wont try something once or twice, it usually takes two tries for me to come to a conclusion about a beer unless its real good and this has happened a few times,I tried Hoegartten twice and did not like it at all :P  BUT THERE NOT ALL LIKE IT KEEP DIGGING

thanks your friend JOE

Why drink Weißbier? Well, it refreshes better than pilsener. It also doesn't stimulate your urine production as much. i.e. the perfect Hot weather beer.

Personally I prefer Hefeweizen over Kristallweizen types. That's unfiltered/cloudy VS filtered.

But what's up with the slice of lemon? If you want fruitjuice order Apfeschorle.. : -)

A good Franziskaner, Paulaner, Hofbräu or Erdinger beats Hoegaarden every (summer) day.

Pfeffer said:
Why drink Weißbier? Well, it refreshes better than pilsener. It also doesn't stimulate your urine production as much. i.e. the perfect Hot weather beer.

Personally I prefer Hefeweizen over Kristallweizen types. That's unfiltered/cloudy VS filtered.

But what's up with the slice of lemon? If you want fruitjuice order Apfeschorle.. : -)

A good Franziskaner, Paulaner, Hofbräu or Erdinger beats Hoegaarden every (summer) day.
I FORGOT ABOUT FRANZISKANER   what a great wheat beer!!
ajijoe said:
I FORGOT ABOUT FRANZISKANER   what a great wheat beer!! and no thanks with the lemon :P

I don't always drink wheat beer, but when I do, I go for the hard to pronounce German hefeweizens.

beer_1156.jpg

i like it better than you everyday piss water lager i can tell you that at least LOL ;)

as i said not my fav style but sure is better than other crap that passes for beer ;)

Hard to pronounce? You just open your  mouth and say "Hefeweizen".

Try drinking a few of those and than start working on the pronounciation of "Streichholzschächtelchen" (match book) :party:

MMMMM Me likes a good wheat beer.     Hoegaarden and Blue moon is like the Coors and Bud of wheat beers. If i want an Orange i'll Eat it!    Try a Paulaner or Spaten for starters.

Banana Clovey goodness!     

Streamer said:
Just hoist a "Blue Moon" and get over it. :P    And Wheats are at their best in the spring /summer.
Reminds me of a guy I work with who went to SF for a beer fest and asked for a Blue Moon.
The guy serving the craft beers said, "We don't sell water here." :rofl:
I am not a fan of wheat beers either.

HEF A WY ZEN

OR
HEF E VY ZEN  (*possible German pronouncing*)

Pfeffer said:
Hard to pronounce? You just open your  mouth and say "Hefeweizen".

Try drinking a few of those and than start working on the pronounciation of "Streichholzschächtelchen" (match book) :party:
wow thats a mouthful im am a German by decent

waffensfaradgeshoss   i think thats how you spell it, it was written on a 7.65(32 auto)German made pistol i used to own, it was something to do with being made in a bicycle factory?  the maker was "ORTGIES"

I think we just invented a new drinking game.. :P

Wheatbeers can be very nice, but only ice could and on hot days. I don't have the desire to drink them in the winter, but in the summer they are much more refreshing than a regular pilsener. Just don't drink too many. As it doesn't stimulate your urine production as much as normal beer does, your intestinal track contains a lot of water. Yes.. and we all know what that can lead to.

Just stick to 3 - 4 an evening and you're good (pints.. what else)

My allrounders stay pilseners though. Luckily we have more breweries than anywhere else in the world. Even the belgians can't compete with that.

lol, I know how to pronounce hefeweizen. It's when I try to convert people from Blue Moon or Shock Top to a hef and give them the name of the brewery I just murder the name.

Back