• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

When (and when not) to remove blossoms

When is it time to STOP pinching pepper buds?

• I pinch for a week or two after transplant, and then let it ride

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I've heard many different theories on when to remove buds, so as not to inhibit foilage growth when the peppers are in the early stages. Please take the poll about how you feel about this. At the two extremes, there are people who NEVER pinch buds, and people who pinch well into the growing season up until the main budding/flowering stage. In the middle are people who pinch up to the outdoor transplant and not beyond, and some people who pinch for a week or two after transplant but then let it ride.

I'm in the camp of pinching up until a week after transplant, and thereafter, letting it ride, even if it slows down foliage growth somewhat. I believe the first few buds in the days right around transplant can really soak up the energy of the plant which is needed for growth, and is best removed, but beyond those first few, I like to let plants just do the thing they were designed to do - grow and make peppers, on their own schedule.

This should be any interesting poll

None of the above
I mostly just pinch flowers/pods from large podded annuums types, and I pinch until around July for best productivity

I never pinch flowers from my plants.
I actually like it when they start to blossom before the others because that way I know that those fruits are pure and that I can take seeds from them.
When you don't have a garden its best it they don't flower at the same time. It saves you some trouble by not having to move plants around the house all the time if you want to save some seeds.

Bleash

Back