• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds When can I start germinating?

I got some peppers from a member on this forum and I took the seeds out and want to plant them. I'm going out of town next week, and I wanted to start germinating right away but I don't know if I can.. Do I have to wait for the seeds to dry? How long should I wait? Is there anything bad that can happen if I don't dry the seeds before germinating?

I have never tried to germinate fresh from a pod, but I usually default to how things work in nature.  She dries the seed, lowers the temp for a time, and then when things are right she signals them to pop up.  So why not do an experiment with a few of the seeds now, but save some in case the experiment fails.

jacqui276 said:
I have found that germinating seeds from fresh pods has worked faster than dried seeds.
I am going to have to try this.  I am not ready to plant anything that I have plenty of seed for, but there are a couple of weird ones this year that I want to get planted soon so I can clone the heck out of them for next year.  If I get the same results as you, you will have given me months of extra time to get the plants cloned. 

Glad to find this thread, I had this exact same question. Just plucked some seeds from a habanero that I want to plant asap. They're drying out by the air vent now, I'll start them this weekend and see what happens.

I always dry my seeds. In nature the seed falling to the ground, its usually dried out by the sun. I have tried fresh before and germination was slower. And the seed because it had not been through a wet then dry then wet again cycle made for a helmet head problem. The seed drying out makes it more brittle and easier to release during germination. Studies have shown that seeds germinate better after the seed has been dry for a week.

Back