• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds When do I move the seedlings to cups?

It seems that the majority of my seedlings have begun to stall growing. The are developing 3rd and 4th leaves, but they do not seem to be getting any taller over the last 3-5 days which is considerable since some others that I planted on 12/13 (different varieties) are already taller than all of the bhuts, scorpions and reapers already.

Are these guys ready to move up from the seed trays to cups?? They were planted on 12/2, began sprouting on 12/9 and very few are still popping out the ground. I am at 68 plants, plus I lost 2 out of 90 seeds planted. 

I put mine in cups on their 4th set of leaves. Its really up to you, the most important thing to worry about is transplanting when to small example: (true leaves) or waiting to long to transplant and it gets root bound example: ( starting to bud )

What kind of lights, soil are you using? I don't move my seedlings until they get almost root bound and used up all the space in the containers. Don't really have a time frame maybe the first transplant is 4 weeks after they get their 1st true leaves from the seedling tray into a 4x4 cup then maybe another 6 to 8 weeks later into a gallon container and they move up as needed. Don't really want them getting too big as I can't plant outside until last of May or 1st of June as I live in zone 4. Mine are 6-7 months old by the time they go outside and ready to produce if they havent already by then.

Browning said:
I do it when they're about 4" tall.  Although I've done it much earlier before

Yeah i've even done it as soon as the day after they pop out of the ground. So I reckon it just depends on your set up and what you prefer

I use aerogardens, and transplant when roots break out of the sponge and have at least 3 sets of leaves.
Their first soaking is with the juice they were sprouted in.

I decided to break out the sweet peppers and peter peppers since I have so many more seeds. The soil was VERY dry on the inside, so I watered all of the other trays pretty heavily. I always check the soil from the top and it never feels "dry". I am sure this had something to do with them stalling out. When I tore the seed holder, all of the soil crumbled out.

This is my first attempt at growing as I have mentioned many times. It amazed me how long the roots were vs what I saw outside of the soil. I transplanted all of those to dixie cups and will judge what I do with the others by what happens with these. 

I am going to keep an eye on those seed trays a little better, the top checking is not working for me. If I'd lost everything, It would have been very upsetting. I planned on getting another tray or 2 planted today, but I think I am holding off another week or so to se how these do. 

Back