• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds When do seedlings / germinated seeds need light?

Hey guys, I planted a few seeds from one of my 7Pot Jonah pods and im wondering at what stage do they need light?
I put the seeds in my hot water cupboard for a makeshift heat mat, so its consistently warm, but dark..the container that the pellets are in is covered with gladwrap to keep the moisture in..

One of the seeds has germinated and im wondering what I should do with it now?(pic below) Should i leave it in there for a bit longer? Should i bring it out into the light? Should bring it out and put it on-top of something fairly warm? maybe on a modem or something?
If so should i keep the glad wrap on it or remove it? 
Is the seed ok how it is now without any dirt really on it? 

Basically, im wondering what I should do with it now? Its my first pepper plant from seed..its currently still in the dark in my hot water cupboard.. pic below of how it looks..im wondering what i should do next?
thanks!
20140316_1238171_zps436ef49d.jpg

I had best results when I put them under lights immediately. From there put them on a 18/6 schedule.
Some say you can even do 24hrs of light until they for their 1st set of leaves. The cotyledons (first set) don't photosynthesize and are just stored nutrients for the plants to use while it develops its first leaves and root system.

Hope this helps. Remove the lid though and be careful of them being to far from the lights you don't want them to get leggy. If you're using flourescents 6-10 inches away should be fine.

Hope this helps, and anyone, correct me if I'm wrong...just trying to help.

mx5inpa said:
I'd not wait for leaves. The stems green up too, and that one is pale.

I don't believe this at all.

I did'nt say to wait for leaves...and yes stems green up too. And actually, look it up...cots are usually eaten up by the plant...they photosynthesize for a short perdiod of time, then are consumed (usually). but that's not their primary function...take a bio class...read a book...google it.

mx5inpa said:
I dont need to do any of that.

You just said I was right twice.
Hmm, come to think of it. Yes, I did. Regardless facts are facts...and I'm convinced in what I've read and been taught.

7potquezada said:
I had best results when I put them under lights immediately. From there put them on a 18/6 schedule.
Some say you can even do 24hrs of light until they for their 1st set of leaves. The cotyledons (first set) don't photosynthesize and are just stored nutrients for the plants to use while it develops its first leaves and root system.

Hope this helps. Remove the lid though and be careful of them being to far from the lights you don't want them to get leggy. If you're using flourescents 6-10 inches away should be fine.

Hope this helps, and anyone, correct me if I'm wrong...just trying to help.

You said, in bold, that they DO NOT synthesize. TO which I replied that I didnt believe that at all.

7potquezada said:
I did'nt say to wait for leaves...and yes stems green up too. And actually, look it up...cots are usually eaten up by the plant...they photosynthesize for a short perdiod of time, then are consumed (usually). but that's not their primary function...take a bio class...read a book...google it.

Next you say they're eaten up by the plant. While true, so are the bottom leaves of any plant deficient in N.

Then you changed from DO NOT to "short period of time".

Google all you want but at least try to understand what you are reading.

The cotyledons perform every function of a normal leaf. Normally they are shaded out pretty fast...from all the N theyre producing and their remaining N in the chlorophyll, and any other mobile nutrients are absorbed. Again, just like any old shaded out leaf.

Dont come at me with changing stories or not understanding whatever you think youve been reading.
Oh...and I didnt have to google anything.

ps...the dont wait for leaves bit was above what I quoted of yours and was a reply to what cruzzfish said.

Then I quoted you and replied...

mx5inpa said:

You said, in bold, that they DO NOT synthesize. TO which I replied that I didnt believe that at all.

Next you say they're eaten up by the plant. While true, so are the bottom leaves of any plant deficient in N.

Then you changed from DO NOT to "short period of time".

Google all you want but at least try to understand what you are reading.

The cotyledons perform every function of a normal leaf. Normally they are shaded out pretty fast...from all the N theyre producing and their remaining N in the chlorophyll, and any other mobile nutrients are absorbed. Again, just like any old shaded out leaf.

Dont come at me with changing stories or not understanding whatever you think youve been reading.

Oh...and I didnt have to google anything.
Lol,now cots produce N? I've never heard of leaves producing N....please tell me more?

what i should do next?
thanks!
20140316_1238171_zps436ef49d.jpg

You should pack some peat loosely on the tip of that seedcase too unless you want to up your chances of what is known as "helmet head" in these parts. That seedling is way too shallow.
7potquezada said:
Lol,now cots produce N? I've never heard of leaves producing N....please tell me more?

Yeah I got ahead of myself.

The N is when the cots are done with the sun because theyre shaded out or not needed anymore.

Regardless, they are not nutrient storage vessels any more than any other leaf. And are robbed of their N and other mobile nutrients as soon theyre not needed like any other leaf. Their MAIN job is photosynthesis.

mx5inpa said:

Yeah I got ahead of myself.

The N is when the cots are done with the sun because theyre shaded out or not needed anymore.

Regardless, they are not nutrient storage vessels any more than any other leaf. And are robbed of their N and other mobile nutrients as soon theyre not needed like any other leaf. Their MAIN job is photosynthesis.

Yeah that's cool man. We're all entitled to our own opinions but not our own facts. Anyways, we're not botanists so...hey I just take them as opinions.

mx5inpa said:
Nah other than adding extra N to what I said what I stated is pretty much fact.
Wow, you're a stubborn one. Fact can be proven. So please do so if that's the case. (i'm talking present publications, cite some literature) not your own words.
But, if not, then like I said...you're not a botanist. So....I'll just ask my botany friends at school.

7potquezada said:
Wow, you're a stubborn one. Fact can be proven. So please do so if that's the case. (i'm talking present publications, cite some literature) not your own words.
But, if not, then like I said...you're not a botanist. So....I'll just ask my botany friends at school.

Ok here is my proof that cotyledons are all about photosynthesis.

mUVU5Qs.jpg

Tell me why something that is not going to do any - or hardly any photosynthesis, depending on which of your stories to believe, would be exibiting photo-tropism?

Signed,

I dont google plants, I grow them.

mx5inpa said:

Ok here is my proof that cotyledons are all about photosynthesis.

Tell me why something that is not going to do any - or hardly any photosynthesis, depending on which of your stories to believe, would be exibiting photo-tropism?

Signed,

I dont google plants, I grow them.
So, you post a picture of seedlings...and that proves what? You grow plants, so do non-botanists. 

You've proven nothing.

To my knowledge the cotyledon stores nutrients for the plant to be. 

Signed,

Lol.

Well you are the one who claimed to have all this knowledge, which contradicted itself, then you said you would have to ask your friends brothers cousin who are still in school taking botany and you cant provide any evidence...not even a picture, that bolsters your original, or your second statement about the function of cotyledons in plant growth.

Ok.

I am glad that asking your "botany" friends counts as what you asked from me...citing current literature, in your mind.

mx5inpa said:
Well you are the one who claimed to have all this knowledge, which contradicted itself, then you said you would have to ask your friends brothers cousin who are still in school taking botany and you cant provide any evidence...not even a picture, that bolsters your original, or your second statement about the function of cotyledons in plant growth.

Ok.

I am glad that asking your "botany" friends counts as what you asked from me...citing current literature, in your mind.
Actually, I said I was open to be corrected. You can check that in the first post I made. And I only asked proof because YOU claimed to have THE FACTS on this. Which you still have not proven to be true. And, at the very least I have the resources to find the truth legitimately. And no actually, no specification was made to whether they were still taking botany or not. To clarify, a friend of mine is a doctor of botany (teaches at my college), another is a biology tutor with a bachelors in environmental bio. 

With my first reference to being open to correction in mind, you've wasted your time I never claimed it was 100% solid. Thanks for the entertainment.

You got the simple explanation from someone who sees someone freaking out about their cotyledons dying because theyve never grown a plant before and dont feel like explaining, or dont know themselves what is actually going on.
You asked to be corrected, gave two different stories and then jumped on me about "proof".

Seeing is believing to most people.

Back