• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

When do you start shopping for seeds?

Timing for promoting fresh peppers is easy.  When they are ripe.  Making such a decision for seeds is not so easy.  Please help me figure it out.

Kind of a follow up question to the one about Facebook advertising.  With the advice from that question, I followed all the steps except for the final one: Paying for it.  I figure if folk are not ready to shop for seeds, it would be a horrible time to test if the Facebook advertising is worth it.

My own opinion is kind of useless.  I collect, trade, and buy year round for the next year.  Its more of a when I find it thing.  Saw Primo made his Big Mama line available a few weeks ago, so bought them.  Wife said late January / early February because that is when we get all the seed catalogs.  Figures those companies did large amounts of research to figure out when to make the new years seeds available.  Thing is, many of the super hots need longer than other garden seeds. 

Have gotten great advice from members here.  Now using ticket software that Hotpepper recommended (thank you).  So hoping to get some good advice on this one.  When do you start shopping for seeds?  When do you think I should start advertising on Facebook?

Thank you in advance for your opinions.  Things have been going well since moving from farmers markets to online.  Hoping to do even better with your advice and opinions.

In general, from my perspective, if you're *not* on a forum or in some way connected to like-minded growers, it's when the catalogs come out. And they've been coming out earlier (got one last week). But just say December - January. If you are continually talking about and reading fresh information, I think you're more likely to make purchases when smaller growers such as forum members (ie, not the big seed houses) have seeds come available, which can happen during the growing season. SO basically you're more in tune with "what your neighbors are growing" than what seed houses are offering during a limited window.

As far as advertising, I guess it depends on who your customers are.

MY opinion, the earlier you start pimping your seeds the better. All the big seed companies do it year round because it's always time to plant somewhere in the world. If you're on Facebook then most chiliheads will eventually find you and follow so when you list new seeds available some order right then. Use PepperJoe's as a model of how they post fresh seeds for sale, a few good pics of the peppers and run a special on old seeds. Just something to think about.

Back