• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor When growing indoors, what size should I top the plant off at?

I was told before to top the plant off at 2ft or so, but I'm just worried that it wouldn't be able to produce pods then, is this true? I only have so much room in my grow tent so I'd like to know the smallest size a pepper can produce. Thanks!

Topping at 2 feet is way too late, unless they're super leggy. Top young at around a foot if you want bushy plants. Fair warning though, while your crop may increase, it's going to get really wide if you have a good light setup, so be prepared. 

peppamang said:
Topping at 2 feet is way too late, unless they're super leggy. Top young at around a foot if you want bushy plants. Fair warning though, while your crop may increase, it's going to get really wide if you have a good light setup, so be prepared.
Gotcha, is there a way to control the width of the plants at all?

you can top it at any point as long as you have some nodes to regrow from.

i imagine at 2ft you already have the Y split so you have 2 tops..

smallest size plant can produce pods is VERY small don't worry too much about it.
here you can see a small about 6inch medusa pepper plant producing.
ma96.jpg

I have had a plant this year which was only a couple of test seeds from a fresh pod in late fall. They sprouted in a couple of weeks and I've kept one of them growing with no light and almost no water. Long story short, fast forward to early spring - I brought the pot with the seedling outside with almost no protection from the cold. I believe there were even some frosty mornings and 20cm of snow that fell over it and did some pruning for me.
All the leaves got white as soon as I brought it out and it seemed as it will die and stay dead. It did not. It started growing 5 or 6 large stems from the soil level when morning temperatures got above 10°C, and became one of the plants with largest number of pods (and the pods are also larger) on it. 

If you, or mother nature for you, prune it all the way to the lowest nodes, it will grow like a clump of chillies and develop nicely.

Other chillies were pruned at 5th or 6th pair of leaves and they also got bushy and tall, but with one difference - they still look somewhat tree-like with large trunk on the bottom and strong branches growing from it.

juanitos said:
you can top it at any point as long as you have some nodes to regrow from.

i imagine at 2ft you already have the Y split so you have 2 tops..

smallest size plant can produce pods is VERY small don't worry too much about it.
here you can see a small about 6inch medusa pepper plant producing.
ma96.jpg

Oh wow, didn't know they could still produce at that size! Thanks for the reply! What size pot would you say to use a plant for around the 10-15" size?

Tarzan said:
I have had a plant this year which was only a couple of test seeds from a fresh pod in late fall. They sprouted in a couple of weeks and I've kept one of them growing with no light and almost no water. Long story short, fast forward to early spring - I brought the pot with the seedling outside with almost no protection from the cold. I believe there were even some frosty mornings and 20cm of snow that fell over it and did some pruning for me.
All the leaves got white as soon as I brought it out and it seemed as it will die and stay dead. It did not. It started growing 5 or 6 large stems from the soil level when morning temperatures got above 10°C, and became one of the plants with largest number of pods (and the pods are also larger) on it. 

If you, or mother nature for you, prune it all the way to the lowest nodes, it will grow like a clump of chillies and develop nicely.

Other chillies were pruned at 5th or 6th pair of leaves and they also got bushy and tall, but with one difference - they still look somewhat tree-like with large trunk on the bottom and strong branches growing from it.

Gotcha, thanks for the reply! That's good to hear that they'll still thrive at that size.

I have a miniature plant.  It was a volunteer that I found growing in the pine bark on my landscape fabric. (so it was barely rooted to anything)  And it was already hardened off on the main stem, like wood.  Yet, the entire plant was less than 4" tall!  So I put it into a solo cup, and let it go all season.  I have this teeny tiny little aji lemon drop plant now, which makes leaves about the size of a quarter, and has actually produced fruit.  In fact, they were tastier than the ones from the full size plant last year.  LOL

I've always cut my plants back during my overwintering, but now I have been hearing a plant that has been excessively topped will produce many smaller pods rather than fewer larger ones.

Is this true?

Jeffcontonio said:
I've always cut my plants back during my overwintering, but now I have been hearing a plant that has been excessively topped will produce many smaller pods rather than fewer larger ones.

Is this true?
For that person/post....yea. My experience with the 2 plants I overwintered 2014/2015 no.....

Jalapeno1_zpstvij2ufu.jpg

IMG_0604_zpsnci54nkw.jpg

Bonnies_Thai_Ornemental2%201_zpsjtfytctg.jpg

IMG_06781_zpso4lgywbn.jpg

I'm in Taxachusetts near Lawrence in the Merrimack River Valley on the Cow Hampshire border!

NECM

`

Back