• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

when is enough enough

When do you guys and girls give up on a seed? or do you? if it hasnt germinated yet. can you try and dig it up and find it then plant it again or are theyre seeds that just willnot grow no matter what.
and oh yeah once a pod is fully ripe when is the best time to pick immediatley afer ripe or a few days later?:shocked::?: any help is good

I really don't give up on seeds intentionally but sorta...they don't get a chance when it is time for me to transplant from the 72 cell seed starting tray to 3" containers...that is usually about 3-4 weeks...

as far as saving seeds...If I know I am going to want seeds from a particular plant, I will just let the pod go completely dry on the plant...or try to...if not, then I try and get the ripest ones I can for seed scavenging...

Some will just not germinate. Depends on a lot of things though - how old the seed stock is, temperatures, growing conditions etc. Also if it is saved from an F1 it can be sterile seed and won't grow.

I have had a chocolate Bhut sprout after about 3 months. I went to chuck out the tray and noticed it peeping out. However I don't have the space or time to wait that long for them now.
Chinense can take longer than others.

i think u might have misunderstood me but on the seed saving i meant can u dig up the seed and try it again if it doesnt sprout? and will soem seeds not sprout no matter whaT?

For me it depends on several factors:

1. How rare is the pepper?
2. How badly do I want it?
3. How many seeds do I have?
4. How well have the other seeds done as a group?
5. Do I want all the seeds in a group to be roughly equal?
6. How much time do I have?
7. What are my Goals & Why?

For example, right now I have 36 healthy bhut, hih, & naga seedlings growing for next spring. If half die and I only get 20 ripe pods per plant, that's still one, 1M SHU chilli per day, for a year. For me, that's probably enough for 5 years :onfire:

Do I really need to hang on for those last two naga to sprout? Or is it time to move on, get obsession/compulsion counceling, and try to pick up the pieces of my life again?

Noshownate said:
I keep hearing about f1's and what not what are those?

An F1 is the first generation hybrid plant you get from the seed which came from a pod which developed from a flower that was cross pollinated.

SanSoo said:
Do I really need to hang on for those last two naga to sprout? Or is it time to move on, get obsession/compulsion counceling, and try to pick up the pieces of my life again?

hilarious.

thanx advice all.

Back