• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

When plants droop

HotPeppas

Banned
Lets see its insanely hot out. can they drop because of that to conserve water uptake or does it just plainly mean that they need water!?

They droop because they can't pump the water up the steam as fast as the leaves are losing it. That can either be because it is very hot, or hot and windy too, OR because there isn't enough moisture in the soil. There are also nutrient deficiencies and excesses that can cause or worsen droop but I don't recall which at the moment.

If I see a plant droop I water it. If it stays drooped I keep my watering schedule a little more frequent but check to see if it undroops late in the evening. If it doesn't then with potted plants I move them to a more shaded area till temperatures drop.

Just from what I'm seeing here....

Early morning, when somewhat cool, all the plants look well watered with the leaves standing out. As the day heats up, the leaves droop to the point that the plant looks dead (I assume they are trying to reduce moisture loss). Once the sun goes down, the leaves rise back up and look good again (unless the actually need water).

That's why I try to do the watering in the mornings, as if they are droopy then, they are thirsty and not just hot.

If they look particularly bad after sundown, I may give them a bit to perk them up a bit, but I try not to leave them damp overnight...

Reduces water loss but then the plant gets hotter and may cook in the sun, while slower water pumping means fewer nutrients supplied to the plant which is trying to grow assuming that along with heat is the sunlight causing it. Otherwise the plant conserves water in contrast to low humidity conditions.

They can also droop more if you've had a few days of ideal temps and they have put on new growth as the leaves sometimes grow faster than the root system so you wind up with more drooping when it heats up again until the roots catch up.

most pepper plants droop when they are getting a full blast of afternoon sun, as soon as the sun is off em they should start to recover, I water mine in the evening if the pots feel light or my meter shows the soil is dry.

well my plants in ground seem to droop a lot earlier than my ones in pot. im confused at how that works. they get the same amount of sun

Could be that the ground soil is more compacted, not allowing the plants as much water or even air for the roots as the potted ones get.

My chinense all droop in the middle of the day... probably because they tend to have larger leaves and need correspondingly large amounts of water to maintain turgor pressure. I water them in the morning, they usually start perking back up again by 8 at night. Not much you can do in this heat.

This is also the problem with pots, plants are much more sensitive to elevated ambient temperatures as they quickly deplete the root zone of moisture. For plants in the ground I can usually just turn on the soaker hose for a bit and they'll be fine. Some of my plants in pots are large enough that they transpire most of what I give them by the end of the day and I need to water them a second time.

I always water when I see droop, and they always perk up. Not as much as they do when night comes but IF you are giving the plant enough fertilizer and it's drooping, observe whether watering it helps.... did for mine. The rules change a little when temperatures are high, the surface of the soil dries out faster so you don't have to worry about fungus as much (given well draining soil) but you still have to check for it via green growth on the soil surface.

Even so, it's a matter of relativity. There's a little droop, a lot of droop, or there's "my plant may not make it" amount of droop which is generally when stems bend beyond a certain point, not just leaves falling down.

Back